This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

I love going on YouTube and Pinterest and searching up the latest trends in beauty and skincare. Before I had to spend all my money on rent, bills and college expenses, I used to spend my paychecks on the newest beauty products and salon visits. However, I have had to become a lot more frugal and find cheaper alternatives to my expensive habits overtime. Here are my favorite beauty hacks that won’t hurt your bank account.

DIY Waxing

As someone with dark hair, it is super obvious if I go too long without waxing. I used to go to my hair salon once a month to get my eyebrows and upper lip waxed until I realized I could save a ton of money by doing it myself. For my face, I like to use Nad’s Facial Wax Strips. If you’re tired of shaving your legs and are up for the challenge, you can also wax your legs using Nad’s Body Wax Strips. You can watch tutorials on how to wax your eyebrows and legs here and here

Cosmetology School

Getting your hair done at a cosmetology school can save you so much money! Last year, my friend was studying cosmetology at Warrensburg Cosmetology School and she was able to dye my hair ombre for $25. By getting your hair done here instead of a salon you’re not only getting a great deal but you’re helping someone get the hours and the practice they need to become a hairstylist. There are several cosmetology schools in the Kansas City area with great reviews, such as Z Hair Academy, Ea La Mar’s Cosmetology & Barber College and Transformed Barber & Cosmetology Academy.

Discounted Makeup

Hi, my name is Kara and I’m self proclaimed Maxxinista. When I worked at TJ Maxx, I became obsessed with all of their products, especially their cheap makeup. Before I go to Target or Ulta, I always check TJ Maxx or Marshalls to see if they have the same product I want for less. You can find your favorite brands for half of the original price. They have everything from Anastasia Beverly Hills palettes to Maybelline mascara. Here’s a list of their current makeup items, but it changes frequently. When you’re shopping, make sure everything is properly sealed! Don’t buy broken makeup on clearance just to save a few dollars. 

DIY Anything on Pinterest

DIY face masks, lip scrubs, foot peels and more can be found in the magical land of Pinterest. Most of these recipes only require two or three common household ingredients, which makes them super cheap and easy to try out. Most beauty products have inexpensive substitutes. You can swap shaving cream for aloe vera gel. Instead of buying makeup brush cleaners, you can use baby shampoo to clean your makeup brushes (although I originally learned this tip from Blaire Fowler). Don’t be fooled by mass marketing. Most of the products stores try to sell you can be easily made at home or substituted with a cheaper product.

Beauty routines are a great way to take care of yourself, especially when you feel stressed or overwhelmed. As a collegiate, you already have enough to worry about. You don’t have to compromise your budget in order to treat yourself. Enjoy these money saving beauty hacks!

Kara is a senior studying English with an emphasis in Creative Writing and minoring in Communication Studies at UMKC. Aside from writing for UMKC’s chapter of Her Campus, she is the Vice President of Sigma Tau Delta-Nu Theta. In her free time, she can be found exploring Kansas City with her friends or cozying up with a good book.
Krit graduated with English and Chemistry degrees from UMKC. As the President and founder of UMKC’s chapter, she hopes HC UMKC will continue to create content that inspires students. Some of her favorite things include coffee and writing.