This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

Oh, the joy of babysitting. Who wouldn’t want to get paid to have fun and play with cute children all day long? While I have been lucky enough to have mostly good experiences with babysitting, other people may not. Over the past six years that I have been babysitting, I have picked up many ideas for fun activities to entertain the kids. Here are some of my favorite things to do that you should try out the next time you babysit.

Bake yummy treats.

Are the kids bored on a rainy day? Well then, it’s time to whip out an old recipe book! My go-to treat to make are brownies, since they are easy to make, plus they aren’t too messy to clean up after. I let the kids pick out the recipe, and each child gets to take turns measuring the ingredients, cracking the eggs and stirring the batter. Then, if they are being extra good, I will let the kids taste test the batter.

Have a fashion show.

If you’re having a hard time trying to figure out what to do with the kids, try and have a fashion show. I’m not talking about just getting dressed up either. Try to go the extra mile by doing the kiddos’ hair, makeup, nails, etc. (if the parents allow it, of course). After they are all dressed up, set up a runway, dance or take pictures. Having a little fashion show will let the kids have fun and feel fancy for the day.

Go on a walk or a bike ride.

Are the kids tired of being inside all day? Try going outside to enjoy nature for a little bit. Take a walk, go on a bike ride, play at the park or even explore a hiking trail. By getting the kids outside and moving, this will help release some of their energy and give them good exercise. 

Tie-dye clothes.

One of the most fun activities I’ve done while babysitting was tie-dying clothes with the kids. It allows them to be creative and get their hands dirty. You can use t-shirts, socks, dresses or even masks. All you have to do is buy a simple tie-dye kit, let the kids pick out the colors they want to use and start tie-dying. Here are some easy instructions on how to do so.

Watch a movie.

If all else fails, let the kids relax by watching a movie. Now, I’m not saying to let them watch TV all day long while you sit on your phone. Tell the kiddos that if they behave extra well, then they can watch their favorite movie at the end of the day. While they are content, clean up the kitchen from lunch or put away the toys in the living room so the parents have a clean house to come home to. After that, feel free to sit down with the kids and relax. You deserve it!

Personally, I enjoy babysitting. I love children, so getting paid to play with them all day is pretty great. I hope that you have picked up some of my favorite tips and tricks and can try out some of these activities the next time you have to babysit. I wish you the best of luck!

Brylee is currently a freshman at the University of Missouri-Kansas City, and is a pre-nursing major. She loves to travel, shop, and spend time with her family and friends. In her free time, you can typically find Brylee playing with makeup, painting, or watching TVD on Netflix.
Krit graduated with English and Chemistry degrees from UMKC. As the President and founder of UMKC’s chapter, she hopes HC UMKC will continue to create content that inspires students. Some of her favorite things include coffee and writing.