This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

If you’ve never listened to a podcast in your life but want to start now, look no further. Here is a list of the top podcasts any woman in her 20s should listen to.

Pod Save America

Going crazy after every news push notification you get on your phone, but still want to know what’s going on in the world? Look no further than Pod Save America. You should listen to this podcast when you feel like screaming into the void because the country has gone mad and is in shambles. The founders of Crooked Media empathize and offer gut-busting political commentary and interviews with major pros from both sides of the aisle, including Cory Booker, Chuck Schumer and Nancy Pelosi. While this show could make you pee your pants from laughing, the subject matter is no joke: These hosts know their stuff and want listeners to understand, too. I listen to this when mainstream news has become a little overwhelming. Also, there is nothing hotter than an informed woman. 

Bad With Money with Gaby Dunn

I, for one, am horrible with money. If you’re anything like me, three spontaneous shopping trips to Sephora and Whole Foods later, you find yourself broke for a couple of weeks. Bad with Money might be able to help. You should listen to this podcast when you’re too afraid to ask about your 401K. Well, They won’t! This is exactly what host Gaby Dunn wants you to understand. The comedian, ex-Buzzfeed employee and YouTube sensation makes finance talk accessible to all — especially young women, who are usually excluded from that conversation. Say it with me: We’re all in this together!

The Moth

Every college student, or really anyone, can relate to feeling isolated and alone sometimes. That’s where The Moth comes in to make feeling alone not so lonely. You should listen to this when you’re feeling down and need a good cry. Everyone has a story and this podcast wants to hear it. The Moth records at live events in cities around the country. This podcast broadcasts real stories from audience members about everything from embarrassing high school gym stories to sexual assault survivors’ stories. I’ve done my fair share of crying while listening to this one. 

Schnitt Talk

Finally, and personally my favorite, we have Schnitt Talk. On a regular episode of Schnitt Talk, you’ll hear Ellie Schnitt and her producer Alanna Vizzoni talk about everything within the early 20-something realm including beauty, social media and relationships. They never have a dull moment. Some of the podcasts have been titled, Your PDA Is Gross, You Have To Stop and What Do You Do If You Suck at Flirtexting. If you’re a college girl, chances are this podcast has something you’ll relate to immediately. Have you been thrown out of a bar? So have Ellie and Alanna. Drunk-texted your ex-boyfriend at 2 a.m.? Ellie and Alanna have too. These girls are as real as they come. I listen to Schnitt Talk whenever I need a good laugh or sometimes even to make myself feel better about a situation. Ellie’s full of the funniest, most outrageous drunk stories I have ever heard. The truth is, we twenty-somethings and college girls are all going through similar problems at this point in our lives. Alanna and Ellie bring that to light in the funniest way. I HIGHLY recommend it. 

Being a woman in your 20’s is hard, but luckily you’re not alone. These podcasts have been a lifesaver for me in everyday situations with the advice they give. If you’re cleaning your room or getting ready for the day, pop one of these on and learn a thing or two. 

Abbey is a sophomore at University of Missouri - Kansas city studying communications emphasis in Journalism and minoring in English. In her free time, she can be found coffee shop hoping around Kansas city, watching vine compilations on YouTube, or spending all her money at Sephora and beating her face to the gods.
Krit graduated with English and Chemistry degrees from UMKC. As the President and founder of UMKC’s chapter, she hopes HC UMKC will continue to create content that inspires students. Some of her favorite things include coffee and writing.