3 Ways to Get Involved With Social Action

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

Are you trying to make the world a better place? Many of us would like to, especially when we look around at the state of the world. Old and new wounds have plagued the country with violence and indifference. You might feel like there is nothing you can do, but this is not the case. The past ten years have seen a resurgence in protests, demonstrations and marches. As dire as situations may be, and as tensions continue to rise, people persist in the fight for social justice.

College students have a unique experience when it comes to making social change. On the one hand, you can feel powerless against injustice. However, many of the nation’s most influential social movements were founded and led by college students. Protests against the Vietnam War were frequent on college campuses. Leaders of the Civil Rights Movement frequently visited universities around the country. Why is this? Because students and other young adults hold power when it comes to making a difference. 

Don’t be discouraged: if you are passionate but unsure of where to begin, there are plenty of resources available to students. Here are three things you can do to get involved with social action. 

Join a student organization dedicated to your cause. 

A great place to start is by looking into advocacy groups on campus that focus on the issues with which you are most passionate. Many campuses (including UMKC) have groups focused on LGBTQ+ advocacy, environmental action and multicultural groups that promote racial justice. These organizations provide an opportunity to meet like-minded people, assemble and take collective action. If you are interested in a topic, odds are that other students on your campus are equally passionate. 

Volunteer in your community.

Volunteering is a way to see an immediate change in your community. There are plenty of opportunities at UMKC and the surrounding area to get involved. Organizations like food pantries, homeless shelters and after-school programs rely on the help of volunteers. Many of these institutions are actively recruiting the aid of college students. You can check campus bulletin boards or reach out to local organizations and see if they need any extra hands. Volunteering is also a great group activity for friends and student associations. See if you can find a group of friends who want to make a difference in the community and make a day out of volunteering. 

Be the change.

If you see an immediate need, be the change. Small projects can lead to huge impacts on the communities they assist. Many college campuses around the country have benefitted from student-led initiatives like recycling bins in common areas, gender-neutral bathrooms, and limiting plastic waste in dining halls. If you have an idea for a project, find other students or staff members who can help you make it happen. Look into the avenues for social change available to you. There are also plenty of small ways you can make a big difference: petition your local representatives, call out unjust practices, create flyers and canvass on campus.

Making a difference is not easy, but everyone can become involved in social action. If you have the passion and drive to seek change, you have countless opportunities to make it happen. 

Maddy Bremer (she/they) is a sophomore at UMKC studying Mass Communications and Journalism. Maddy loves to write and enjoys music, changing their hair color, and hanging out with her cat Steve. After graduation, Maddy plans to attend law school.