Style

3 Last Minute Halloween Costumes That Passed the Vibe Check

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

Now that Halloween has ended, what better time is there for a costume recap? Finding the right costume was pretty difficult with college courses in full swing, but here are three last minute costume categories that stole the show.

Puns of fun

I don’t know about you, but I’m always down for a good pun. Funny costumes can be very creative but still simple to pull off at the last minute, so they are great for my fellow procrastinators. One of my all-time-favorites was the “cereal killer,” which just requires an empty cereal box and a plastic butter knife. Another simple pun costume could be “holy guacamole” with some version of an angel halo and maybe a shirt with an avocado image on it. In terms of group costumes, nothing beats the Spice Girls (Kitchen Counter Edition)! This isn’t limited to a certain number of friends, either, because the spices are endless, from ginger, to cinnamon, to turmeric!

Trending ‘fits

I would be totally off the mark if I did not include one of the biggest things in pop culture today: “Squid Game.” The Korean survival series is currently Netflix’s most-watched series yet and has been at the top of the US’s Top 10 list since it premiered in September. The costumes did not have to be very time-consuming to pull off, either, as they could just include dark green sweats or a tracksuit. Not to mention, it was a great conversation starter at Halloween parties.

“Berries and Cream” is one of TikTok’s biggest trends. It started with an unhinged Starburst commercial from 2007 and has experienced another wave of virality in 2021, with countless people around the world singing the Little Lad’s song. There were many ways to present this outfit, whether you dressed up alone as the Little Lad, or you dressed up as berries and your friend dressed up as cream.

Classics (for a reason)

Clowns, ghosts, angels and other basics never go out of style. If you are running out of creative ideas, there’s no shame in pulling up as one of these. You can always add your own accessories and details to make these outfits your own, which is exactly what the holiday is about.

Costume hunting at the last minute could be quite stressful, but some of the most clever and trendy costumes take the least work. Every outfit could be tailored to fit your preferences, no matter how basic (or classic) they are. As long as you looked and felt your best, that’s all that matters!

Hey! I'm a fourth year in UMKC's BA/MD program I love listening to music, watching Netflix/YouTube, singing, and learning new languages :)