This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

A lot of us are in the stage where we are looking at apartments or already have them. A cheap alternative to buying all of your room decor is making it yourself! Not only is this cost-effective, but it also brings something personal and one-of-a-kind into your home.

Mini Canvas Art Wall

For all of you art geeks out there (myself included), a mini art wall is perfect! From painting to color pencil art, this DIY project is like a polaroid wall but filled with your art instead. You can use canvases, paper or even paint swatches to brighten up your room.  Your art can be of your favorite TV show, landscapes or even little portraits; the possibilities are endless! This is also a cheaper alternative to buying decorations to spruce up your room, and you can tell everyone that you did your decor yourself. Not only is this DIY art wall therapeutic and enjoyable, but it can also make your apartment a little more YOU!

DIY Knot Pillow

Throw pillows are a cute addition to any new apartment, and they can pull a room together; they can be added to chairs, sofas or even your bed! Throw pillows can be a little expensive, but making them yourself is a cheaper alternative, especially if you’re making them from upcycled clothes. The DIY knot pillow can be made using just old leggings, hot glue, needle and thread and pillow stuffing. A tip if you don’t have pillow stuffing at home is to cut up old t-shirts to use as stuffing instead. This is one of the easier DIY projects because you don’t need a sewing machine. Depending on your preferences, you can use one color or make a colorful pillow using multiple different leggings. Just stuff the leggings full of pillow stuffing, hot glue it together, start making the knot and sew up the loose ends! I encourage you to get together with a couple of friends and make some knot pillows!

Washi Tape Wall Art

Another super fun and cheap way to decorate your apartment is using washi tape. This type of art looks professional and creative at the same time, and all you need is some colorful washi tape. There are many designs that you can choose from; some beautiful ones that I have seen are New York or Chicago skylines. Another alternative is using washi tape as a border and painting inside the lines to make a geometric or a patterned design.

Buying a new apartment can be daunting and decorating it can be an even bigger and expensive task. Making your own DIY apartment decor is a much cheaper and more unique alternative. These three DIY art projects are both easy and fun to make, and can also personalize your apartment. So pick up your paint, hot glue, cloth, tape and anything else you need and get creating! 

Hi! My name is Shreevarsha and I am currently a third year in the 6 year B.A./M.D. program at UMKC! My hobbies include doing art and reading!
Krit graduated with English and Chemistry degrees from UMKC. As the President and founder of UMKC’s chapter, she hopes HC UMKC will continue to create content that inspires students. Some of her favorite things include coffee and writing.