20 Things You Can Do to Battle Boredom During Quarantine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, many states have issued a stay-at-home order. While this is necessary to help flatten the curve and protect those who are vulnerable, it has also created more free time than most people know what to do with. So if you are bored in quarantine, here are 20 things you can do to fill the extra space in your day.

Bake.

Baking is a great way to kill an hour throughout the day. And if you make too many cookies, you can always share with your friends to show them you miss them and care about them. Just make sure you drop them off on the porch to maintain social distancing.

Try a New Workout Regime. 

Working out promotes productivity and can help you focus later in the day. If you are unsure how to start, try following a two-week plan from Youtube (Popsugar has a great selection of workout videos).

Paint Your Nails.

I know I am well overdue for a manicure, but with the salons being closed we are going to have to improvise. If you usually get a gel or acrylic set, try ordering the supplies online and learn how to do it at home! Who knows, you could develop a new skill and end up with a new side hustle.

Read the Book You’ve Been Meaning to for Years.

I know everyone has a book they have been meaning to read just collecting dust on the shelf. So take it down and commit 30 minutes a day to reading until you finish it.

Watch a New Movie. 

Netflix has so many movies to choose from. You can even make a night out of it with your friends via Netflix Party. It allows you and your friends to watch TV shows or movies together (remotely) in real-time.

Organize/Purge Your Closet.

My rule of thumb is if I haven’t worn it in over a year, it needs to go. Consider making a closet Instagram account for selling your clothes or donating what you no longer wear.

Take a walk.

As it starts to warm up, taking a walk can be a good way to destress and enjoy nature. And if you have a pup, I’m sure they would love to come along with you.

Give yourself some new hair.

I’ve recently seen some really beautiful haircuts and colors done from home. Getting a new look can help boost your confidence. And if it doesn’t turn out as planned, no one has to see it if you don’t want them to.

Have some coffee.

I know I’m not the only one who wants to make the whipped coffee trending on Tik Tok…Right? Here is a simple recipe on how to make it: Whipped Coffee.

Deep clean the house with loud music.

Honestly, you can make a whole day out of this one. Just make sure you have a great playlist and take multiple dance breaks.

Make a new playlist of all your favorite songs.

This can be time-consuming, but when it’s finally time to roll down the windows and blast the music in the car, you can be trusted with the aux.

Start a new hobby.

This could be a new instrument, drawing, embroidery/knitting, cooking, etc… Anything is possible with the help of tutorial videos.

DIY some old clothes.

This includes tie-dye, bleach, embroidery, alterations, really just anything that will bring new life to an old piece of clothing.

Journal.

Keeping a journal is a great way to keep track of your days and to assess your emotional well-being. You could also start a bullet journal to keep track of specific things you want to watch in your daily life.

Start a mini garden.

Whether you live somewhere with a giant backyard or in a tiny apartment, it’s pretty easy to make a little garden. Order some seeds online and plant them either outside or potted near a window. Herbs are good to grow if you don’t have much space but still want to grow your food.

Catch some vitamin D.

If you have a backyard, catch some sun on a nice day. You can even kill two birds with one stone and read that book you’ve been meaning to while you tan. Just make sure to wear sunscreen.

Do a face mask.

Face masks can help you feel rejuvenated. Try doing a face mask the next time you have been working for a while and need a break.

Make a Tik Tok.

At the very least, download the app to see what all the hype is about. You may find yourself pleasantly surprised.

Facetime or Zoom call your friends.

Just because you can’t see your friends in person doesn’t mean you have to become a stranger. Give them a call and talk about each other’s days.

Apply to Her Campus at UMKC!

Her Campus is always looking for new writers. Also, with the semester coming to a close, applications will be open before you know it. So, why not try writing an article for submission in the fall!

Hopefully these ideas will help fill some of the extra time you now have in the day. Quarantine has been hard on everyone I know but we will get through it together if we stay positive.

Jessie is currently a sophomore at The University of Missouri Kansas City studying Biology and Chemistry in hopes to do research on infectious diseases. As apart of the events team, she hopes to spark strong bonds and lasting friendships among the women in Her campus. In her free time, she enjoys going to Target (especially when she doesn't actually need anything) and binge-watching the latest Netflix originals.
Krit graduated with English and Chemistry degrees from UMKC. As the President and founder of UMKC’s chapter, she hopes HC UMKC will continue to create content that inspires students. Some of her favorite things include coffee and writing.