Lazerdisk Brings More than Just the Party Sex to UMaine!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

This past week I got to talk to Chad and Zack from Lazerdisk Party Sex and see if they are as excited about their performance at Curva Ultra Lounge this Saturday for the Breast Cancer Fundraiser, sponsored by Her Campus UMaine, as the UMaine students are. Sure enough it’s safe to say they are MORE excited. A crowd full of over-energized twenty-something year olds is their largest, and most passionate, fan base. The DJing duo straight out of Vermont graced UMaine once before and left the crowd pumped up as they flooded the Curva Dance Floor with their beats. This Saturday’s gig is sure to be nothing different.

What makes this group and their performances such an experience is that they are as passionate about the crowd having fun as the crowd is. “I wanted to create music that people will have a fun time listening to. We try to keep it lighthearted without sacrificing any musical quality or grit. We want people to have a good time when they hear an LDPS track out,” Chad said. “Not only do we make music for people to enjoy listening to, but to dance to. Hard. Our music is meant to be fun because we have fun making it,” Zack added.

The talented pair met in the summer of 2009 when Zack hired Chad to intern at the DJ and Music Production School. By that fall Chad was teaching part time at the school and by spring the two musical forces joined together to perform at the UVM Spring Festival. With their turntables and costumes, Lazerdisk Party Sex was born. And as for the infamous outfits that the duo wears during their sets? “I asked Chad about his thoughts on coming up with a faux stage name and wear costumes so that nobody will recognize us. The concept was meant to be a fun, one time deal,” Zack told me.

While making it to where they are today comes from the perfect mix of talent and perseverance, it is clear from talking to these two that they genuinely love what they do and are truly grateful for the opportunities they have had. “One of my favorite things is to go someplace that I’ve never been before, and see that the people in the crowd know the drops, melodies, rhythms, and baselines to our tracks. It’s something that never gets old,” Chad said. “Hearing our songs evolve from the bedroom studio to a packed house to a concert venue gives me goose bumps,” Zack agreed.

Check out their website here!

A question I couldn’t help but ask was how their education and college experience shaped who they have become in the music world, especially since their core demographic is the college scene. Chad responded, “College was the jumping off point for me. Up until then, I was basically only into turntablism. When I first started DJing publicly, it was strictly college house parties. I would bring my DJ equipment, amp, and speakers, set up in someone’s basement, and play until the night was either over, or cops showed up.  It also gave me an outlet to play my tracks out at parties.” While the two met during their time in and around the University of Vermont, Zack’s experience differed from Chad’s. “I did a couple of years at a community college in Burlington, VT but dropped out because I wanted to start a DJ and Music Production school. Ironic, but the lack of schooling pushed me to start my own business.  I’ve been into the art form of turntablism since high school and wanted to offer something that wasn’t available in Vermont. I gave DJ lessons to middle/high school students and would DJ local gigs part time.” Both guys not only value their schooling but their experiences of being in and being around college life has given them insight into the audiences they perform for.

Check out their SoundCloud page here!

What is their advice for people who want to follow their musical aspirations and perform at colleges and festivals like them? “I’m a strong believer in doing what you love. If you love it, give it a shot,” Chad said, while Zack quickly added, “If you’re passionate about music and want to make your own, do it. Even if you don’t know how your going to pay rent that month.”

“I grew up in Maine, so I feel like I have a really close connection to Maine crowd. I always wished there was a more lively electronic music scene, and to see it start to legitimately develop and be a part of that development means a lot to me” –Chad

So it is clear that Chad and Zack and their storm trooper helmets are JUST as excited to be in Maine as Maine is to have them! Make sure to rage for cause this weekend and come to Curva Ultra Lounge on Saturday, October 22nd, 2011 and support breast cancer as you dance to Lazerdisk Party Sex! 

Interest in getting in contact with Lazerdisk Party Sex? Contact their manager, Jesse Jacobs!
Jesse Jacobs
jsbjacobs@gmail.com

305.606.1774

For more information on Lazerdisk Party Sex check out their multiple websites and fansites! 
http://vimeo.com/21629285
http://bmau5.wordpress.com/2011/03/15/lazer-disk-party-sex/

photo credit: Katie Donlon Photography, Sarah K Jelleren, Google Images