danielle macinnes IuLgi9PWETU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
danielle macinnes IuLgi9PWETU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Kathryn Hayes: A Journalist Who Has Survived The Digital Revolution

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UL chapter.

Name: Kathryn Hayes

Studied: B.A Journalism Degree in Dublin City University

Career: Journalist, currently working for The Irish Times. Journalism and Social Media lecturer in UL. 

Kathryn Hayes has been working as a journalist for 18 years, and has continued to thrive and succeed through the digital revolution that has now taken over the world of journalism. She got her first job with the Limerick Leader newspaper and is now the Limerick correspodant for The Irish Times.

Kathryn took some time to speak to us about her career path to date, views on modern media and offered advice for aspiring young writers.

HC: What made you decide to choose Journalism as a career?

KH: “Journalism  was something that always interested me when I was in school. I was naturally always curious about the world.  [In school] I loved English and writing, history, music and art. I loved listening to stories and telling stories,”  

Kathryn knew she was always a more creative thinker, and preferred languages and writing to other subjects. She knew a career involving writing was the best option for her.

KH: “I knew I certainly wasn’t business orientated. For me, journalism seemed like a really interesting career choice that also allowed me to continue writing.”

HC: What advice would you give to incoming college students who are considering journalism, or aspiring journalists?

KH: “We’re all naturally curious by nature. Journalists have this curiosity about the world and want to know more about how things work. It’s not just about having interest in reading about the world, you have to be interested in looking for the answers yourself.”

An insatiable need to find out more about current affairs is essential, according to Kathryn.

KH: “You need to find out more about that story, why it happened, how it happened, who’s involved – and most importantly, you have to be interested in telling that story with the world.”

HC: What are your thoughts on a journalist’s role in today’s society?

Kathryn believes journalists play a hugely significant role in today’s society.

KH: “We’re in the biggest paradox of our time as journalists. Sadly, journalism has never been as criticised and less trusted as it is at present, but there has never been more of a need for good journalism than there is in our time.

For the last 13 years I have worked in a national paper, and I’ve seen a huge change in the industry, largely caused by the digital revolution. What hasn’t changed over all this time, and what will remain a constant in journalism’s future, is the ability and the need to tell a good and truthful story properly. Journalism needs to maintain its responsibility to tell the truth, supply fact and accuracy.  Journalism is a responsibility, we must tell a good story and tell it factually.

We’re in this era of post-truth and alternative facts but honesty is key, and our role is crucial.”

HC: What are your thoughts on the future of journalism?

Kathryn is very aware that the digital medium is definitely where journalism’s future will lie but is holding hope that newspapers and radio, among other traditional forms of journalism, will continue in some way.

KH: “I would like to think newspapers will remain in our society in some way. I think local newspapers are important for fostering democracy. I would like to see the physical daily newspapers continue, but it’s very hard to see that happening.”

Social Media Director of Her Campus UL
University of Limerick Chapter Correspondent. Studying Journalism and New Media.