“Without Merit” Bookworm Blunder

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

Photo By Lilly Rum

I slightly fell into a rabbit hole last week of buying a book and finishing it before the sun came up that same night. It is a norm for me to devour a book within a day, so much so my brother pokes fun at how fast I read. Last week I made a special trip to Barnes and Noble to buy “Without Merit” Colleen Hoover’s newest young adult novel, on its release day and here are my spoiler-free thoughts!

Yes this is a young adult novel, no you should not stray away from this young adult novel! I fell in love with the quirky Voss family and their quirky church-turned-house, appropriately named “Dollar Voss.” Hoover keeps you on the edge of your seat with all of these twists and turns within the first chapter and keeps you reeled in until the end.

“Without Merit” has a slightly different tone than Hoover’s other novels. A little more twisted involving more than just a few major character and a slew of minor characters but I was sucked in until the last page. Each of them intertwined in a secret that is more than just pillow talk.

Like all of Hoover’s novels there is a taboo topic involved in “Without Merit.” Personally, I thought it was executed well within the book and the characters making them seem real and understanding.

Everybody goes through things, whether or not we see it first hand. Hoover does immaculate on making you think and see the world differently after you get sucked into Merit and the rest of the Voss’s lives. The secrets that Merit has trapped and hidden within herself should not have been secrets.

Whether you are a bookworm or a person who just does not read very many books, that is okay, I highly recommend you read “Without Merit.” A little piece of advice, go into any Colleen Hoover book blind, the less you know the better. I have a tendency to cheat and read the back cover or a few reviews on Good Read that spoils a part of the plot. Each of her novels has some sort of an emotional tie connected into the plot and slides important and very real human issues into these characters making them real.

Twenty year old ISC major taking life day to day through a Polaroid camera.