Wildcat Favorites: Restaurants

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

It is finally October, that means we have been at school for at least two months. This also means that you are probably tired of eating at the dining halls, Taco Bell and Papa John’s. I know I am.

So I decided to look at three off campus spots that receive a lot of praise. Each review will talk about the food offered, the quality, the price and its proximity to campus.

1. Blue Door Smokehouse

The Blue Door Smokehouse is a BBQ favorite in Lexington. This adorable restaurant, although small, serves of some of the best BBQ in the entire city. The ribs, pulled pork, smoked sausage and beef brisket are all highly recommended, or if you are feeling bold get the special with all four! The prices are super reasonable, especially for college students on a budget.  This restaurant is less than a 10 minute drive from campus, which is great if you are in a hurry. The only downside to this spot are the hours. Monday through Thursday they are open from 11a.m. to 3p.m. Friday and Saturday they are open from 11a.m. to 8p.m. and they are closed on Sundays.

2. Ramsey’s

Ramsey’s a is a family friendly restaurant that has been a Kentucky tradition since opening in 1989. With a diner style feel, Ramsey’s is perfect for Sunday dinner or whenever you need some  southern comfort food. The portions are really large compared to the prices. Not only are you avoiding breaking the bank, you are probably going home with leftovers. What college student does not cherish leftovers? They are open through the week from 11a.m. to 11p.m. and on Saturday and Sunday from 9a.m. to 11p.m. Another plus is that they serve breakfast all day, every day! With four Lexington locations finding a Ramsey’s is easy. There is one that is only 10 minutes away from campus.

3. Saul Good

Saul Good offers a variety of menu options. They offer pizza, pasta, hamburgers, and, fan favorite, chicken and waffles. Everyone I have talked to about Saul Good has mentioned the chicken and waffles. Do not worry if breakfast is not your thing, Saul Good has other amazing options. With a diverse menu this is the perfect spot for group outings. Do not worry about your picky friends or yourself (if you are the picky one) being satisfied, there is something for everyone. This spot is a little more expensive than the others on the list, but not by much. They are open from 11:30a.m. to 10p.m. during the week and 11:30a.m. to 11p.m. on the weekends. The best thing about Saul Good for me is it’s proximity to campus. They are located in the Square (downtown Lexington), which is a short walk or drive from campus.

Photos courtesy of:

saulgood.com

ramseysdiners.com

bluedoorsmokehouse.com

My name is Micah Hurt. I am a sophomore Equine major at the University of Kentucky. I am also a Resident Advisor (RA). I love to read, explore Lexington (or anywhere really), and listen to murder mystery podcast!