Why You Shoud Not Diss Other People’s Majors

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

Photo by Morgan Nichols

In the two short years that I have been at the University of Kentucky I have noticed that there is a lot of competition between majors. This is extremely silly. People talk about me being an equine major all the time and how it is not a real major. Put an end to trash-talking other people’s majors and interests.  

Do not downplay anyone’s major.

Frankly this is just rude and obnoxious. Just because you believe that a specific major will not lead to what you consider a fulfilling career does not mean that is true for everyone. Most people choose their majors based on what they like to do. They do not need your approval of their major and probably wish you would stop giving it.

A major that is not STEM can not be hard.

FALSE. Every major has its challenges. That could be tremendous amounts of reading or writing. Just because it is not heavy in math or science does not mean that your peers are not putting just as much time in getting good grades as you are.

Asking people what they plan to do with that major.

It really is not any of your business. Sure I would not mind discussing my future goals with you, but when you ask me in a snarky way, not so much. When people choose their major they have a plan going into it, or maybe they do not. It is not up to you to judge their future careers.

Make friends with those who are in a different major.

It is a really good idea to make friends with people who are in a different major. It is a great networking opportunity. Who knows you might find out you actually have an interest in other fields of study and decide to add a minor.

Enjoy your major.

Worry about your major and your success. Focusing on everyone else will cause you to be sidetracked. If you love what you do you should not have time to critique everyone on what they are doing.

My name is Micah Hurt. I am a sophomore Equine major at the University of Kentucky. I am also a Resident Advisor (RA). I love to read, explore Lexington (or anywhere really), and listen to murder mystery podcast!