Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Why Valentine’s Day is About More Than Just Romance

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

Photo by Tyler Nix

When we think of Valentine’s Day, we think it is only a day filled with romance and relationships. However, Valentine’s Day serves as much more than just a day of romance. Valentine’s Day exists as a day to show love and appreciation for the people in your life who you love and care about the most.

On Valentine’s Day, remember to show your family how much you love them because they have loved you unconditionally since the day you were born. Your family has been there through all of the ups and downs throughout your life.

This year send a sweet text to your mom and dad to show them you are thinking about them or even help with things around the house to show you care. If you need a Valentine, your dad or even your brother would gladly fill that role for you.

Remember to celebrate your friendships this Valentine’s Day and show your closest friends how much you care about them. More often than not, friends become family, and they stick by us through thick and thin. Friends listen to you when we need to vent and help cheer you up when you are down.

This year go out to dinner with your closest gal pals or pick them up a small thoughtful gift on Valentine’s Day to show them that you appreciate them and all they do for you.

Finally, remember to love yourself this Valentine’s Day because often times the last person we think to love is ourselves. This year show yourself some love by treating yourself to a pedicure, splurging on a cute outfit or binge watch your favorite show.

Valentine’s Day does not have to be a superficial holiday that only serves to celebrate romance. This year make Valentine’s Day about celebrating the people you love and care about because there are so many people in your life who need to be shown love.

This Valentine’s Day (whether you are in a relationship or not) remember to show love and appreciation for your family, friends and yourself.

As junior at the University of Kentucky, I study Integrated Strategic Communication with a focus in Public Relations. I aspire to be a public relations professional for a healthcare facility that works to positively impact the lives of children, families and the community. My experience as a PR/Marketing intern at the UK International Center has helped me to gain valuable skills in creating promotional digital and print materials for an organization as well communicating to an organization's target audiences. My position as a Resident Advisor as also allowed me to grow my event planning, public communication and creative marketing skills. My top strengths include achiever, developer, futuristic, responsibility and learner.