Why It’s Important to Like Your Advisor

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

I am a person that lives under constant stress and anxiety. I have been laying on the beach and all I can think about is what I have to do when I get back home. Peace usually only comes after a couple of anti-anxiety pills and a three hour nap. And honestly, sometimes my naps are taken over by my anxiety.

Despite the constant worrying about literally everything there is one way I can usually calm myself when it comes to school and classes. In my case I have a tendency to email my advisor at least three times a week. That is right – this poor, poor man has to deal with my anxiety ridden shenanigans nearly all week, every week.

Thankfully, I have been blessed with an advisor that emails back usually in the same day and is always supportive (even if it is the seventh email of the day). After having a few not-so-great advisors, I cannot emphasize enough how important it is to like your advisor.

Your college advisor is one of your major resources in school. They are there to help you manage your course load, make sure you are on the right track to graduate and to help make sure that your path is the right one for you.

I have had advisors that doubted my abilities to follow my career paths and I have had advisors that were not the best at communicating. This often led to me feeling lost and severely behind during much of my college career.

Since transferring to UK my advisor has made me feel more prepared and on top of things than I could ever imagine. He has been a savior for me during some of the toughest years imaginable. I no longer doubt my abilities to succeed and I know exactly what is happening every step of the way.

Having an advisor that you do not get along with or cannot communicate with can be one of the worst things in college. Your advisor is there to help you and is something you are entitled to as a student (especially after paying that tuition bill). If you are having issues with your advisor I strongly advise you getting into contact with your college’s student support center!

P.S. If you go to UK you can find the student support center information here.

My hair is usually frizzy and I’m usually craving coffee. I’m a senior at U.K. majoring in Secondary Education with a focus in Social Studies and minoring in Anthropology. I’m so happy to be writing for HerCampus, and so blessed to be on our executive board for my senior year!