When Jessica Day Understands You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

Wacky schemes, douchebag jars, and friends that are there even in the weirdest situations New Girl has become a go-to-show when days are gloomy… Or procrastinating on any school work. In my time of procrastination and a few bad days, I started noticing that Jessica Day somehow seems to just understand life and what I am exactly thinking! She is a character that is just as wacky, and has just as many feelings as I do. We all are a little bit like Jess.  Not to mention her dancing skills are just as “hip” as mine. Here are some ways that Jessica Day just understands when nobody else does…

But we actually don’t murder someone, because we are nice human beings that wouldn’t hurt a fly (or feel bad for accidentally stepping on a dog’s paw)  and we also know we would never actually survive in jail. For the days where nothing goes right, coffee somehow ends up on your shirt, staining it for the rest of day. Even running late to class, and end up soaked because the umbrella was sitting next to the paper that is due that day… Rain, wet shoes and socks, and snow can put a damper on the day. 

According to my mother I might say those three words a lot these past few years. Good freak outs, and even bad Jess understands. We freak out because we actually care. One thought leads to another thought which leads to a huge snowball of thoughts that turn into freak outs. 

WE CRY OVER THE SILLIEST THINGS!!!! Whether it is a picture of a puppy small enough to fit into a tiny cup, or even broken ornaments, we cry! It is the silliest thing in the world, one minute everything is fine and then BAM a waterfall of tears streams down our cheeks. After the tears are dry though, it’s realized that there’s a weight lifted. A good cry is all that was needed to make the world seem a little brighter. 

Catching the feelings for someone usually ends up like this. Not knowing what to do and how to act running just seems like the best option… Even though you might see them all the time and can’t exactly run. Usually, it’s between that and saying everything that comes to mind, that might not make any sense at all. Sitcoms aren’t just for laughs my friends, these things actually happen.

My thoughts usually consist of food; when I am going to eat, and what I am going to eat. Food can make or break a day.  Have you ever heard of anybody having a good day after eating a stale baguette? Also, hangry is a real thing. Don’t ignore when someone who gets hangry is hungry.. You might have your head chopped off if you say or do the wrong thing, just saying.

Graceful people rarely ever make history. (okay, that is probably a lie, but still!) Multitasking is hard! It is hard enough to walk without tripping over our own feet but add another distraction, like texting, could be catastrophic. Walking and texting might seem like the easiest tasks in the world, but walking WHILE texting is not, and could end up leaving a scar, a shattered phone, and a shard of glass pricked in the finger. 

What we all secretly want to do instead of confronting someone or something… eat cookies. Cookies don’t get hurt from confrontation. They are bites of heaven. (To be honest though, anything is better than confrontation).

Bonus:

When in doubt.. MOM-CROON IT OUT! (aka awkward dancing to get through life)

Twenty year old ISC major taking life day to day through a Polaroid camera.
"All you need is faith, trust, and pixie dust."