This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

Photo by photo-nic.co.uk nic

Prom.

“The most magical night of your high school career.”

Prom season is upon current high school students and if you are anything like me, you have a younger sibling that is in full prom-panic mode.

I walked into my house the other day and her prom dress had finally made its arrival in the mail and was hanging on one of our closet door hinges in our foyer to prevent the bottom of the long, pale pink dress from wrinkling at the bottom.

“Was I really this crazy during my prom season?” I have asked myself numerous times when I hear my little sister complaining and or ranting about her future prom night plans.

“Was prom really this important to me and as stressful when I was her age?”

No. No it was not. (Maybe)

What is it about prom night that makes teenagers so crazy? Maybe it is the thought of having to spend hundreds of dollars on a dress or a tuxedo. According to USA Today in an article written and published just last year, “Between hair and makeup, outfits, tickets and rides to prom, teens are spending an average of more than $600 on prom.”

Was prom really worth it?

“I think it is worth going one time,” 2014 graduate Chandra Burnett said. “It was super fun to get all dolled up and go out with your closest friends one last time. I waited until my senior year to go but I totally would not have done it another year. Too much running, too much time (my patience wears very thin) and all in all it is just too expensive.”

Some former high school students did not think prom was worth it to them at all.

“To me no. I liked getting dressed up and all that but now looking back at it, I don’t think I’d be too upset if I hadn’t gone,” 2014 graduate Taylor Whittle said.

“After going to two, it was nice to be with my friends and get all dressed up, go to a nice restaurant and the works, but it didn’t feel like it was all that great. Now that could be because I didn’t party hard or I just wanted my exchange to come,” 2013 graduate Andrew Coburn said.

Others fell in the middle of the spectrum. They enjoyed prom and the things and events that take place during prom season, but they would not go back and do it over again.

“Yes and no. I think it was worth it because it was a fun night to hang out with all of your friends and dance to great music. However, I do not think it’s worth all the money that some people spend. I don’t see the point in buying a $700 dress you’re only going to wear one time,” 2014 graduate Kenedi Drumheller said. “I think there is this idea that you have to spend a ton of money in order to have a good time at prom.”

Everyone has their own takeaways from their prom experiences. Personally, I think prom is one of those high school things that you have to experience for yourself to be able to answer the question, “Was prom really worth it?”

If it was worth it to you, good! If it was not worth it to you, that is fine too!

Life does indeed go on after high school. And prom will be just a thing in the past before you know it.

Her Campus UK chapter Campus Correspondent. Senior at the University of Kentucky, majoring in journalism and minoring in information studies. If you see me around campus I'm probably rocking a messy bun with a large coffee in my hand.