This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

Valentine’s Day should be a fun time for every couple, but with the COVID-19 pandemic, going out can be harder than ever. For many of us, a normal Valentine’s Day may consist of going out to dinner with your significant other or doing some other activity that you both enjoy. If you’re anything like me, you met your significant other during the pandemic and have not had the opportunity to celebrate any holiday normally. Here are some ways you can safely celebrate during a pandemic.

Have a romantic dinner at home!

Cooking with your partner can be a fun and rewarding experience but if this isn’t your cup of tea, cook dinner for your partner! Light some candles, use some fancy glasses or don’t make it fancy at all. Simply spending time with the one you love will allow you to bond and show them how much you care!

Have a game night! 

Bring out your inner child and have a game night with your partner! Play a game of cards, Monopoly, Clue, Yahtzee, or any other game you desire. Or, find a new game you would both be interested in! Get some snacks and you’re good to go!

Have a paint night! 

Many people took up hobbies during the pandemic and one of those hobbies was painting. Painting can be a great stress reliever and allow you to channel your creative side!

Have a movie marathon!

Grab your favorite movies, some snacks, and take a chill approach to V-Day this year! Pick movies that you haven’t seen or rewatch some of your faves! Everyone loves a nice, relaxing movie marathon with the one they love!

Plan a mini getaway! 

Everyone needs a day away from home! Take a scenic drive to a new destination and spend the day and night sightseeing or visiting local attractions! Stay at a bed and breakfast, a trendy hotel or a cabin in the mountains! The options with this are endless and can be just as, or even more romantic as a fancy dinner to celebrate! 

With the times being different this Valentine’s Day, be sure to spend it celebrating safely! Just because we have to take precautions, doesn’t mean we can’t still have a great Valentine’s Day!

Community and Leadership Development Major & Political Science minor at the University of Kentucky.