The US Attorney General Brings Heroin Awareness to UK

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

Earlier this week, U.S. Attorney General Loretta Lynch came to the University of Kentucky to talk about the heroin opioid epidemic.  Lynch decided to bring awareness to the heroin and opioid epidemic because President Barack Obama made Sept. 18-23 National Heroin and Opioid Awareness Week.

While Lynch was here, she talked about how to prevent people from using heroin and opioid, how officers should enforce it and how users should be go through treatment. Lynch believes that the epidemic is a public health issue.

“We are focusing our enforcement efforts on this problem because we have to stop pipeline poison into our communities. But, arrests and prosecution will not end the opioid epidemic on their own.” Lynch said.

Lynch also pointed out that drug trafficking is not the reason for the overdoses, but it is the medicine in one’s medicine cabinets. She said the DEA is trying to work with pharmacies and doctors to make sure prescriptions are being used responsibly in people’s homes. The DEA is also working on a program with parents, teachers and high and middle school students to raise awareness of heroin and opioid abuse. The program is called Operation Prevention and should be available online for all school in October.

According to CDC, in 2015 more than 1200 people in Kentucky died of drug overdose, a 15 percent increase from the previous year. A quarter of those deaths were due to heroin.

Lynch is grateful that UK is helping to stop the drug abuse in Kentucky.

I am a student at the University of Kentucky. I am also a Resident Advisor and the President of UK Association of Black Journalists. I hope to one day be a news producer within the niche of investigative journalism. I enjoy writing and letting people know what is happening. If you read my stories you will never be bored.
My name is Sydney E. Baker, but mostly people call me Slim. As a junior at the University of Kentucky, I am pursuing a B.A in Integrated Strategic Communication (a mouthful I know but I wouldn't have it any other way). During my studies, I am focused on building my professional self - which basically means staying so busy that I hardly get a wink of sleep. I previously served as the Campus Correspondent for the UK chapter of Her Campus and before that I was only a writer. To know more about me visit http://www.linkedin.com/in/sydneyebaker.