UK’s Uptown Girl

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

www.doodlesrestaurant.com

Wanna branch out and journey a few blocks off campus? Then you’ve gotta do doodles!                    

Lexington’s #1 place to eat breakfast
(as voted by the readers of the Herald Leader), truly is a gem!!!  With its cozy and bright atmosphere, free wi-fi, bottomless cups of organic, locally-roasted coffee, friendly staff, local ingredients, environmentally and ethically conscious menu … the list goes on and on … this place is a must do while you’re in Lexington.

Conveniently situated on the corner of Third Street and Limestone, with ample parking, doodles lends itself to a wide variety of purposes. Whether you want to hop, skip or jump off campus for a local meal (they serve hot, fresh, local breakfast all day) or a pre/post class study group, this place is perfect. They have outdoor seating, “New Orleans” style beignets and a menu that makes decision-making near impossible. 

Don’t worry though! You can’t be disappointed. I recommend the Heuvos Rancheros: a savory dish of slow cooked black beans on top of freshly fried tortillas, topped with two eggs cooked to order, two types of house made salsa and a dollop of sour cream.  I also recommend the Dirty Shrimp and Grits: a piping hot bowl of local cheese grits, piled high with a heaping helping of home made tomato gravy, five huge tail-on shrimp and finished with a to-die-for remoulade and little bits of fried country ham. A southern staple, doodles does this dish justice by crafting all of the components slowly and with love.

One menu item that I love is The Cure. It’s exactly what it sounds like, the perfect cure for whatever’s ailing you. Be it a late night, homesickness, a stressful project or just plain hunger; this dish will fix you right up: two eggs cooked to order, your choice of breakfast meat (they also have vegetarian sausage), cheese grits or fried potatoes and locally made toast or a buttermilk biscuit.

This whole place is good for the soul. On the weekends it can be quite an experience. It’s definitely a hot spot so expect a wait. The ordering process is a little wonky, but works in favor of their space. You are given a number if there is a wait, then order when that number is called, grab all of your accessories and beverages and snag an open seat (there’s a stand on every table to display your number.) By the time you elbow your way through the crowd and get your stuff, don’t be surprised if your food is waiting for you at the table … they perform magic in that kitchen and are super fast, which makes up for the wait at the beginning.

I could go on and on about this place, it’s definitely my favorite spot in Lexington, but don’t just take my word for it; check them out on Urbanspoon, Yelp, Facebook and Foodspotter. This little restaurant makes big impressions on people. Last month Steve Martin was in after his big show at the Opera House … He loved it, so will you!                   

Lauren Conrad is a Print & Online Journalism senior at the University of Kentucky. After graduating UK with a degree in Sociology, Lauren spent two years working in marketing in Cincinnati, Ohio before deciding to move back to Lexington to enroll in UK's journalism program. Born in New Jersey, Lauren moved to the south at a young age and considers herself a southern girl at heart. A proud Wildcat, Lauren enjoys rooting for all UK sports. Always open for new beginnings, Lauren is excited to be a part of the Her Campus team and for whatever new challenges may come her way after graduation!