This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

In our current social and environmental climate the effects of global warming, pollution, and specifically fast fashion have become issues that can no longer be ignored. Fast fashion is defined in the Oxford dictionary as inexpensive clothing produced rapidly by mass-market retailers in response to the latest trends. This practice is very convenient for staying up to date on trends, but is very detrimental to the environment due to its over production of cheap and disposable clothing. Usually these things are produced under unethical means such as child labor or sweatshops, poor disposal of chemical runoff, lack of concern for animal cruelty, and many other situations. Fast Fashion brands include, but are not limited to, Forever 21, Zara, H&M, Topshop, Victoria’s Secret, Fashion Nova, Shein, and Zaful to name a few. 

For many people, this can be a shock and may spark a want to change their ways but they don’t know where to start. You might think it is best to now get rid of the clothes you already have, but that would just fall back into the pollution cycle. It is okay to keep the clothes that’s  in your closet, and if you are no longer wearing it, you can always sell them on Depop, Poshmark, instagram, and at resale stores, or donate them to clothing drives.  

Now when it comes time to buy new clothes people get a little anxious because there aren’t clear steps to good thrifting. The first thing you must keep in mind is that not every thrifting trip will be successful and that it will take patience. 

Planning the Trip 

I strongly suggest that for your first few trips you go with a friend or two so you can have a reference and feel less self conscious. 

Set aside a day, or at least a few hours, to allow yourself time to really look through the racks and try things on without rushing. 

Plan to go to multiple stores in the area because some are a hit or miss

Search for thrift stores in your area and check their websites to see if the description of what they sell matches what you’re looking for. 

A helpful hint is to see if the store has an instagram to get a better idea of what is offered. Also check the suggested accounts to see more options that may be in the area.

If you are visiting places in the city be sure to look ahead for public parking options.  

Looking Through tthe Store 

Thrift stores are not always the most organized places to shop, and no two locations are the same in their set up. So you should glance through the whole store to get an idea of what they have and where things are. 

When looking through a rack you might not like many pieces you see at first, but I always find the best things when sticking to a rack and going through everything on it. 

Try on the clothes you find because it always looks different on the hanger. 

When trying things on, consider how you can match or layer it with clothes you already have, be it a statement piece or something subtle. 

Never forget to look at shoes, bags, and accessories! It is worth taking a look at the smaller things because buying them at full sale price somewhere else can be costly in comparison.

The Checkout 

When leaving the store, sometimes they will ask if you are fine without a bag depending on how concerned they are about plastic bag use. Usually they will give you your clothes stacked and tied up with string. 

Don’t forget to wash the clothes when you get home since everything isn’t always clean when brought in. 

After a day of thrifting I always feel happier compared to when I go shopping at the mall. Once you buy something from a thrift store, you know that it is unique and special to you.  Even though it might be difficult to get the hang of at first, recognize that what you do as a shopper has a big effect on the environment. The more ethically you and your friends shop, the more important your roll becomes.

Hi everyone! My name is Taya Jackson and I’m a sophomore at UK with a Merchandising, Apparel, and textiles major and graphic design minor. I was born in LA and raised in North Atlanta. If you ever want to find me I’m either shopping or at the gym!