Career

A ‘Thank you’ Letter to the University of Kentucky

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

30 more days until graduation.

Only 30 more days until I am no longer a college student. It only took me five years to get to this point, but it’s here, finally, and I’m 30 days away from receiving my bachelor’s degree in print/multimedia journalism from the University of Kentucky.

If you would have met me five years ago, I can almost guarantee you wouldn’t recognize me. Freshman year Abbie is light years different from senior year Abbie. I was a freshman at the University of Louisville, my dream school at the time. I had such high expectations for that red and black filled university. I felt it in my soul that I was supposed to end up there and was supposed to graduate in four years from there. I had everything for my life mapped out, down to the smallest detail, until God quickly laughed at me and led me to a place that I thought would never be in the cards for me.

I hated all things that I had to do with the University of Kentucky. “You’ll never catch me in that gody blue and white,” I said almost every single day prior to arriving at UofL. “I like Lexington as a city, but I would never go to school there,” freshman Abbie often said.

It seemed like just as quickly as I said that, I found myself sitting in the Grehan Journalism Building on the University of Kentucky’s campus, starting my junior year at the school that I was convinced that I had no business being at.

And now I’m 30 days away from earning my degree from this university. All I have left to say about that is, “Thank you” University of Kentucky.

If it wasn’t for this school I wouldn’t have been presented with all of the incredible opportunities that I have been able to take advantage of. I would have never been able to travel to the University of Maryland to present my undergraduate research study at a conference that was hosted by ESPNW. I would have never fallen in love with journalism and sports reporting. I would have never became the president of Her Campus UK, and I would have NEVER been set up to graduate magna cum laude.

Quite frankly I don’t know where I would be in life today if it wasn’t for this school, my professors, and all of the incredible friends I have met along the way during this rollercoaster ride that I call “my college experience.”

Thank you, UK, for blessing me in ways that I didn’t even know existed. You have turned me into the person that I am today.

But, PS: You’ll still never catch me repping that gody blue and white, except for my cap and gown.  

Her Campus UK chapter Campus Correspondent. Senior at the University of Kentucky, majoring in journalism and minoring in information studies. If you see me around campus I'm probably rocking a messy bun with a large coffee in my hand.