Ten Things You Will Find in a UK Student’s Bag

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

Remember when “What’s In My Bag” videos filled your YouTube recommended page in 2012? I used to love watching these videos and would keep things like extra jewelry and my entire EOS lip balm collection (yes, I had a whole collection of them) in my purse simply because Bethany Mota mentioned them in her video. This week, I was reminded of this trend from YouTube-beauty-guru’s-past and thought it would be interesting to ask UK students what they keep in their bags.

Planner

A planner is super important when it comes to staying organized and being on top of all of your assignments. Keeping your planner in your bag allows you to write in new assignments as your professors announce them in class, making sure you won’t forget about them. 

Mini Hairbrush

My hair tends to get knotty throughout the day so keeping a hairbrush in my bag is essential. 

Extra Pair of Socks

Socks are great to keep in your bag in case your feet get cold or you need to take your shoes off and don’t want to walk around barefoot on the dirty floors. 

Tissues

Nobody wants to get stuck using rough toilet paper in the bathrooms to blow their nose which is why I always keep a small pack of tissues in my bag. 

Pain Medicine

I get headaches at least a few times a week so I keep pain medicine on me at all times.

Headphones

If you look around a college campus, chances are 90% of the students you see will be wearing headphones. Listening to music or a podcast on your walk to class can make the walk more enjoyable. 

Water Bottle or Reusable Cup

It’s important to stay hydrated throughout the day so I like to bring a cup to class with me and fill it up with water between classes. 

Umbrella

This Kentucky weather is pretty crazy and you never know when it’s going to start to rain. I have a small umbrella that I keep in my bag just in case it starts to rain while I’m walking to class.

Lotion and Chapstick

Especially in the wintertime, your skin and lips can get super dry, which is why keeping lotion and chapstick in your bag is essential.

Chargers

There’s nothing worse than getting to class and realizing your phone or laptop wasn’t charging the night before. This is why it’s important to keep chargers in your bag, so you don’t have to worry about your devices dying in the middle of taking notes. 

Putting together this list using recommendations from other UK students definitely gave me some inspiration on new things to keep in my bag and I hope you found some inspiration in it as well!

Samantha is a junior studying Broadcast Journalism and Criminology at the University of Kentucky.