Stuck At Home: Four Things To Do Over Spring Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

It’s the most wonderful time of the year – and I’m not talking about Winter Break!

It’s time for some surf, sun and, if you’re lucky, some cute guys. Unfortunately, if you’re like many college students, you may not have the money to go on a tropical vacation over your school’s spring break.  As much as the idea of sitting at home for a week without a care in the world may sound amazing, seeing Sarah Smith’s pictures at a beach side barbecue may make your break seem inferior.

So how do you make your week worthwhile and still get the time to relax and refuel for the end of the semester?

Here are four things to do during your spring break at home that will make all of your friends jealous (and if they aren’t jealous, at least you’ll have a blast).

Day 1: Go outside!
No matter where you are, whether you stay in Lexington or head back home, there are always plenty of places to go and take in the scenery! Check out a local park or hiking trail near your hometown on the warmest day during your break. In Lexington, there are a number of parks and nature sanctuaries that are begging to be trampled on. Raven’s Run Nature Sanctuary is right on the outskirts of town, and is a great place to pack up a picnic and take a few friends for a hike. It takes you right to the edge of the Kentucky River, where you all can take a seat, catch some rays of your own, and enjoy the afternoon.

Another outdoors option that is a little further out of town is Mammoth Cave, located in Mammoth Cave, Kentucky. It is a gorgeous national park in central Kentucky that offers cave tours, guided hikes, and horseback rides. If your group of friends is the type that loves to get outside and appreciate the nature, head out for an afternoon at the park!

Day 2: Take a day trip!
Even if you’re spending spring break at home, there are ways to make yourself get out of the same old routine and find a new spot in a new town! Pick one day of your break where you and a few friends can head to the nearest big city and do some exploring.

If you’re in Lexington, head to Cincinnati or Louisville for the day and hit up the malls for the afternoon. Cincinnati has an outdoor outlet mall about ten miles north of the big city, so head out early in the morning  and get ready to go find the perfect pair of wedges to go with your new nautical sundress. After substantial shopping time with the girls, scope out a cute café or low key restaurant where you all can enjoy some down time before hitting the town. Look up a few college clubs or concerts that are going on during the week of spring break, and meet some new friends in a new city!

Day 3: Relax in style!
So maybe the problem with your spring break is a money issue. If so, don’t lose hope yet! There are a bunch of things you can do that will help your spring break relaxing and exciting, even if there isn’t an ocean involved in the plans. Start the day by letting yourself sleep in, and enjoy the freedom while you’ve got it. When you finally decide to wake up draw a warm bubble bath, pull out your iPod and your favorite playlist, and relax a little more. Once you’ve done enough relaxing and cleaning up, head to a grocery store nearby, and pick out some fresh ingredients for a great home-style meal! Head back home, and pop in a movie of your choice. Start making your food, and invite a few girl friends over for a mani-pedi and movie night. Take the rest of the evening to catch up with your friends before the semester resumes, and make sure to include the two best guys a girl could ever ask for – Ben and Jerry!

Day 4: Get some good karma!

Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie like to do it in New Orleans, and Zoe Saldana likes to do it in Los Angeles; so where do you like to do it?

One way to make yourself feel like a celeb during spring break is to head out and do some volunteering! There are so many places in any hometown that could always use some helping hands. Check out any soup kitchens or food donation centers in town, as they normally take any volunteers who will help out. Take some friends with you, and get ready to help make some new people smile!

Another place to check out is the Salvation Army. Not only will they have soup kitchens where you can help out, but there are sometimes additional opportunities to help out with children after school. Getting out and helping others during your spring break won’t put too much stress on your week, and will make you really appreciate what you’ve got in your life!

No matter what you do during your spring break, make sure to have a great time! Make smart decisions, and stick with your friends when heading to new cities, but go on some adventures that you’ll all remember for years to come. Pick something that you’ll enjoy, and relax as much as you want – it’s called a break for a reason! 

Rachael Gilley is in her junior year at the University of Kentucky, majoring in English and minoring in Psychology. Although she was born and raised in northwestern Ohio, she has spent the past seven years in Kentucky and is a Wildcat fan at heart. She hopes to travel the world for at least a few months before settling into a high school level teaching position upon graduating in 2014. Rachael is an avid book-reader, loves finding new music to blast in her car, and spending her Sunday afternoons learning more about yoga.
Lauren Conrad is a Print & Online Journalism senior at the University of Kentucky. After graduating UK with a degree in Sociology, Lauren spent two years working in marketing in Cincinnati, Ohio before deciding to move back to Lexington to enroll in UK's journalism program. Born in New Jersey, Lauren moved to the south at a young age and considers herself a southern girl at heart. A proud Wildcat, Lauren enjoys rooting for all UK sports. Always open for new beginnings, Lauren is excited to be a part of the Her Campus team and for whatever new challenges may come her way after graduation!