This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

There are so many components of vacations that bring excitement. Whether it is the luscious greenery, the bustling shopping complexes or the feeling of spontaneity, there is always something to look forward to. Traveling across borders can be even more exhilarating. Not only are you in a different time zone, but cultural authenticity is radiating. With the pandemic continuing to limit travel opportunities, cultural discovery during international vacation experiences is being missed out on. Personally, my favorite part of traveling to these unique destinations is immersing myself in local music, traditions, and cuisine. Nonetheless, the latter is still very possible to experience from right here in Lexington. Here are various ethnic cuisines around Lexington that will blow you away.

Asia, being the largest continent, showcases such a large variety of cultures. Located in South Asia, India is home to its own cultural differences within the country. North and South Indian food share several similarities, but also bring their own specialties to the table. These rich flavors and curries can be experienced with just a short drive from downtown Lexington at Tandoor Fine Indian Cuisine. This delightful restaurant is a fusion of traditional north and south Indian dishes. Their appetizers include classic samosas stuffed with potatoes and gobhi manchurian, fried cauliflower bites. In addition to these, they offer appetizers such as naan pizza and tandoori chicken wings which are Indian twists on classic entrees. Beyond that, their entrees range from curries, biryanis (rice), and tandoori clay oven poultry. Each dish has its own unique, flavor profile from the careful blending of spices. A major bonus of Tandoor is the large array of vegetarian options they offer. Even without the meat, they still cultivate rich, spicy, and flavorful vegetable dishes that are staples in Indian cuisine.

Traveling to the southeast part of Asia is Thailand. Authentic Asian food is difficult to pinpoint in cities nowadays. However, Planet Thai embodies Thai cuisine accurately for an incredible price. Personally, this has been a favorite for several years because there’s always something new to try. From their drunken noodles to their basil fried rice, they never fail to create unique dishes that incorporate various meats, veggies, and spices. Of course, spicy food is not for everyone, and they take this into consideration. They use a spice scale to cater to your exact preferences. Another great part of Planet Thai is how affordable their entrees are. They serve incredibly large portions that taste just as wonderful as leftovers. With over 50 options on their menu, there is something for everyone to indulge in.

Historically, regions of the United States were territories of foreign countries. As a result, their predecessors’ cultural roots are still present in their daily lives. Louisiana, being a French territory, is well known for their Cajun cuisine. Bourbon n’Toulouse is a Lexington hotspot that offers a fusion between Cajun and creole food. Some of their most popular entrees are the chicken etouffee and jambalaya. Their rich, delicate gravy paired with tender chicken and sausage creates an unmatched flavor profile. Although they are known for their meat-heavy dishes, they still have vegetarian and vegan options to indulge in. These dishes mimic the entrees with meat by incorporating the traditional spices and adding in crunchy, caramelized vegetables. 

Although you may not be able to enjoy Greek cuisine while admiring the breathtaking volcanic Island of Santorini, Athenian Grill presents classic dishes that hit the spot. Starting with their appetizers, they offer several small bites such as pita bread, hummus and falafels to prepare you for their delicious entrées. A staple in Greek cuisine is the gyro. Athenian Grill is known for the customization of their gyros. The pairing of fluffy pita bread with a choice of delicately spiced and vertically roasted meat is unmatched. Aside from their famous gyros, they also offer pastas with a Greek twist. Their pastitsio is a baked spaghetti filled with Bechamel sauce that is flavorful, yet simple. They also offer numerous vegetarian and vegan options as well. Their moussaka dish is a classic eggplant-based lasagna that blends fresh vegetables and a traditionally spiced tomato sauce. 

With so many diverse cuisines in Lexington, there is always something new to try. Although our tastes are different, branching out is important to embrace other cultures and also build on your own experiences. These restaurants are just a few of my favorites, but there are numerous places to explore unique dishes and flavors. Next time you and your friends are trying to decide on dinner plans, change it up. Try something that you all normally wouldn’t. You may surprise yourself with your likings. 

Dharani Ramaiah is sophomore at the University of Kentucky majoring in Biology and minoring in Neuroscience. During her spare time, Dharani loves working out, reading, and planning outings with her friends. In the future, she hopes to become a physician to make a difference in and beyond her community. Her instagram is @dharani_ramaiah.
Her Campus UK Contributor Account.