The Skin Care Routine for the On-The-Go Girl

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

When rushing from internships to classes to a job, your skin can begin to look oily and dull. We here at Her Campus are excited to share some of our helpful skin care tips for the girl in her 20s!

1. Wash your face before bed…EVERY NIGHT!

From early morning exams to late nights out on the weekend, it can be a hassle to make time to wash your face. Although you may feel exhausted, be sure to wash your makeup off before going to sleep. Bacteria buildup from makeup can dry your skin out and cause blemishes.

Choose a mild face wash that will remove makeup and not leave a filmy residue. “One-size-fits-all” doesn’t apply to face wash. Find the best product for your specific skin type and stick with it.

A good face moisturizer is also key. It may take some time to find the perfect one for you, but don’t give up. If you have dry skin, test a product out that has moisturizing properties. If you have oily skin, stick with a moisturizer that is oil-free.

When you do find the right lotion for your skin type, apply it twice a day, after washing your face.

2. Less is better. Don’t wear a lot of makeup.

Heading to class and work, but still want to look put together? Apply some powder to your face and some mascara. Just a couple of minutes in front of the mirror can make you look refreshed and ready for your busy day.

3. Having issues? Seek help!

One person who really helps me feel better about my skin is Kaylan Aubrey, an aesthetician in Lexington, Ky.

Aubrey has been an aesthetician since 2006. She offers chemical peels and microderm sessions, both available for people of all ages, but great for those in their 20s. Both treatments can help get rid of the top layer of dry skin on your face. Not only does this reduce blemishes, but these sessions make your skin look radiant.

When I leave her office, I also have a full confidence boost. Her warm, caring personality and the treatments she offers are the perfect mix to make a girl feel better about her skin.

4. Prevent, prevent, prevent!

If you do get blemishes (and let’s be honest, what 20-year-old doesn’t?), try mixing up your makeup routine. Switch to a different product or makeup line.

For acne, spot treatments can work really well. Any treatment that contains 10 percent benzoyl peroxide is a winner in our book.

Be sure to also wear sunscreen on your face, even when you’re not out in the sun for an excessive amount of time. Whether you’re walking to classes or driving to work, you can still get sunburn whenever your face is exposed to the sun.

5. An apple a day…keeps the dermatologist away?

Adding more fruits and vegetables to your diet will not only make you feel better, but it will make you look better, too! Be sure you are getting the correct dosage of nutrients that you need.

If you do have a skin issue, don’t be frightened to seek help from your dermatologist. He or she can prescribe you a prescription face wash or medicine if you are dealing with a severe skin issue.

Last, but certainly not least, remember that if you’re good to your skin, it will be good to you! Take care of your skin, wash your face twice and day and apply moisturizer. After all, no one wants wrinkles when they get older!

Allie is a senior at the University of Kentucky, where she studies Integrated Strategic Communication. She enjoys traveling, shopping and spending time with her labradoodle.
"Sam I am," and I LOVE to read. Whether it's Jane Austen's "Pride and Prejudice" or The Mortal Instruments series, I'm always reading. And when I'm not reading, I'm writing; English papers, magazine editorials, you name it! Italian food is my favorite, shoe shopping is my addiction, and I hate cold weather. I'm also a proud member of Slytherin house (we're not all bad, I swear).