Six Comments to Avoid When Talking to a One Direction Fan

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

One Direction is a way of life for many (including myself), but so many Directioners are constantly battling annoying comments from those that don’t understand the fangirl lifestyle.

Harry Styles, Liam Payne, Louis Tomlinson, Niall Horan and Zayn Malik make up the breathtaking group that is One Direction. The band has more than 21.1 million Twitter followers, and it’s these Directioners who are sick and tired of the following six snide and repetitive remarks.

*Avoid these whenever speaking to a Directioner*

1. “THEY AREN’T EVEN TALENTED.”

Don’t be silly. One Direction first began on The X Factor, a television show that seeks out talented vocalists. This means One Direction must be talented or The X Factor‘s credibility goes down the drain.

Before you claim that One Direction isn’t talented, first listen to Zayn’s high note in “You & I,” Liam’s falsetto in “Fireproof” or Harry’s chorus in just about any One Direction song. Believe me, One Direction has plenty of talent.

2. “AREN’T YOU A LITTLE OLD TO BE A ONE DIRECTION FAN?”

Age is nothing but a number, but if you insist that a college student is too old to be a fan of One Direction, let me point out that the youngest member of One Direction, Harry Styles, is 20 years old (though the rest of the band is older).

So, you see, I’m a fan of a band whose members are my age; I think that’s totally acceptable. And, if you still don’t agree, aren’t you a little young to be a Beatles fan?

3. “5SOS IS THE NEW ONE DIRECTION.”

“No one will be the next One Direction,” said Simon Cowell at the Pride of Britain Awards.

Uncle Si is so right. One Direction is unique in its own way and 5 Seconds of Summer, or any other band for that matter, will never be the “new One Direction.” All of these groups have their own sound and character.

Also, One Direction’s latest album (which comes out on November 17), is already number one in 67 countries. Please tell me how many other bands can compare to that?

4. “WHAT MAKES YOU BEAUTIFUL IS THEIR ONLY GOOD SONG.”

That statement is what makes you ugly. Educate yourself.

WMYB is a true classic, but One Direction has a variety of foot-tapping, catchy hits. “One Thing,” “Kiss You,” “Little Things,” “Strong,” “Story of My Life,” “Midnight Memories” and “Steal My Girl,” the list goes on and on (and will continue even further after the new album is released).

5. “HARRY STYLES NEEDS A HAIRCUT.”

I disagree. You don’t hear me telling you to get a haircut! The man-bun is currently a popular trend and Harry is the leader of this sexy man-bun pack. I think Harry looks great with his hair up, down or possible tucked in by a fashionable scarf.

6. “DIDN’T ONE DIRECTION BREAK UP?”

You must be trying to induce heart attacks and create worldwide panic with this one. One Direction has not broken up. They’re happily writing songs, touring the world and recording albums.

Will One Direction break up some day? Well, sure, maybe. But not anytime soon, so let’s not talk about it. Kcool.

There you have it, six great comments to avoid when talking to a One Direction fan. If you despise One Direction, I challenge you to walk a mile in a One Direction fan’s shoes and you’d be exhausted of hearing these remarks, as well.

Ellen is a senior at the University of Kentucky, where she studies Integrated Strategic Communication with a Public Relations emphasis. She enjoys Netflix binging, online shoppping and is an avid One Direction fan!
"Sam I am," and I LOVE to read. Whether it's Jane Austen's "Pride and Prejudice" or The Mortal Instruments series, I'm always reading. And when I'm not reading, I'm writing; English papers, magazine editorials, you name it! Italian food is my favorite, shoe shopping is my addiction, and I hate cold weather. I'm also a proud member of Slytherin house (we're not all bad, I swear).