photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash
photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash

Rom-Com Revival: What Netflix is Doing Right

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

If you’ve been on the internet in the last few weeks, you’ve no doubt seen the many, many enthusiastic reactions to Netflix’s teen rom-com, To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before. Praise for the film is deserved, but its success is also a key event in Netflix’s original movie market.

Though Netflix has been putting out original content for some time now, this summer marked a string of successes that display how Netflix has hit upon the perfect formula for maximum entertainment. Previously, its most popular original content has been its shows, like Orange is the New Black, Stranger Things and Queer Eye. This summer’s movie hits, including To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before, Ibiza, Alex Strangelove and Set It Up, demonstrate Netflix’s new formula for romantic comedies.

Romantic comedies have always been largely formulaic, enabling companies like Hallmark to churn out movie after movie driven by the same plot mechanisms. Netflix’s recent success has risen from its ability to turn these tropes on their head, making them fresh and exciting in a way rom-coms haven’t been for years.

One example of this is the “fake dating” trope in TATBILB. Peter and Lara Jean engage in this rom-com staple, but it differs from other movies in that Peter, not Lara Jean, is the first to suggest they fake date.

It’s also Peter who shows the first signs of falling in real love. Having the male lead be the first to develop feelings is a novel idea compared to older rom-coms, where the male lead often denies his feelings, acting immaturely and arrogantly until the very end of the film.

Immaturity is not a trait found in Noah Centineo’s character Peter Kavinsky, and his portrayal of Peter is a worthy reason the movie is so popular. A genuine, kind and considerate guy who articulates his emotions well and isn’t afraid of commitment? In Peter, audiences finally have a guy who stands up to some standards.

The same is true for Set It Up’s Charlie Young, played by Glen Powell; despite some moral scruples, his character supports Harper’s career goals, gives her advice on dating, and tries his best to be her friend when she needs him. The likeability of Peter and Charlie works well in the new formula because it makes the movie more realistic — and realism is a big draw.

Gone are the days when rom-com characters had inexplicably large apartments, simple miscommunications threatened true love and everybody had fashionable clothes and their dream job. Part of Set It Up’s draw is that Harper and Charlie lead more realistic lives. They both have roommates in their relatively small apartments, they struggle in their low-paying jobs; most of the time, they don’t know what they’re doing. The same is true for Ibiza. Though the events are a little more implausible, the reckless and outright damaging behavior of the three friends is relatable, even as audiences hope for things to work out, the inevitable disaster is comforting because it is familiar.

Thanks to the diversity of these films, more and more people are able to do just that. In Set It Up, Lucy Liu’s strong portrayal of a female CEO (of a sports media company, no less) is one of the first positive depictions of a girl boss. Harper and the audience look up to her not just for her power, ambition and competitive streak, but because she mentors and guides them.

To see a woman who is allowed to be both strong and sensitive, in the midst of her relationship drama, courtesy of the film’s premise, is a big step forward. Alex Strangelove is one of a couple movies this year to focus on bringing LGBTQ representation to teens. TATBILB also takes huge strides for representation; Lara Jean Song Covey is Korean-American, and the casting of her and her family reflects their Asian heritage.

Not to mention the inclusion of Korean culture in the film (who wants to try Yakult now?). However, the fact that TATBILB was produced by the only company willing to let Lara Jean remain Korean-American shows that there is still a long way to go.

Other rom-com staples have been transformed or forgotten in these new movies. The overbearing, sex-fearing father figure of 10 Things I Hate About You shares only a profession with TATBILB’s Dr. Covey. Instead of lecturing Lara Jean about abstinence, Dr. Covey sends her on her way with a bag of condoms. Their positive relationship is a refreshing one, especially as he encourages her to come to terms with her feelings in her own way.

Another notable change is the absence of the evil ex-girlfriend/mean popular girl. TATBILB plays down this stereotype. Peter’s ex-girlfriend, Genevieve, is at odds with Lara Jean not out of sheer malevolence, but because she and Peter are navigating the loss of their first love.

In Set It Up, Charlie’s ex and Harper have no meaningful encounters; her and Charlie split only because they want different things out of life. The other side characters rounding out these films are successful because they have such great chemistry; the relationship between Lara Jean and her sisters is particularly enjoyable to watch.

Ibiza achieves the same dynamic with its trio of girl friends. Many of these female characters are a welcome addition to the movies because they are powerful. They’re not looking for a man to boost their self-esteem or fill some hole in their heart; they’re women who aren’t afraid to say what they believe, from Harper’s firm belief in love right down to the feminist necklace Kitty Covey wears.

All of these changes have reinvigorated the rom-com genre; however, the biggest change is that they are no longer just rom-coms.

The main characters discover so much more than just romantic love. They grow personally and professionally, not necessarily as a result of their new relationship.

One of the best scenes in Set It Up occurs when Harper’s roommate shakes her to reality; if she wants to have her dream job, she has to try, even if she’s a failure the first go-round. This mentality helps set Harper on a new path, out of the stagnant job she had for most of the movie.

Charlie does a similar thing, quitting his job even after his career picks up because his heart isn’t in it. Even though he has no guarantee of success, the idea of starting over is a key development.

Career-wise, the lead in Ibiza, also named Harper, goes through a similar crisis. But now, she is out from under the thumb of her insulting boss and free to pursue, well, whatever she wants.

Lara Jean is still in high school, so her journey is a little different. The main crux of her internal journey is her decision to stop living inside of her head and start living in the real world. Though Peter has a large role in this journey, Lara Jean also expands her horizons to new friendships, including a particularly delightful one with Lucas James. But she also learns to navigate a world without her older sister Margot, off to college abroad and, most telling of all, finally learns to drive. Let’s hear it for personal growth!

The holistic development of the characters lends a depth to these movies that makes them worth the re-watch and builds up word-of-mouth recommendations.

Whether Netflix can hold on to this success remains to be seen; given the intense controversy over Insatiable, it seems that original content is still hit or miss.

But hopes are high for their next teen rom-com, Sierra Burgess is a Loser, premiering Sept. 7 and starring Netflix fixtures Shannon Purser and Noah Centineo. With a case of mistaken identity, plus-size representation and certified dreamboat Noah Centineo, it has all the elements of a rom-com hit, Netflix style.

Natalie Parks is a freshmen at the University of Kentucky. The Venn diagram of her interests has sports on one side, international travel on the other, and the Olympics in the middle. In her free time, she enjoys spending time with her family, reading poetry, and talking (to anyone, really). She hopes writing for Her Campus will help her improve her writing and introduce her to girls with the same goals.