Rising to the Top

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

My dear friend, Kristen T. Smith, is such an inspiration and definitely worthy of praise (not just because she’s my friend but because she’s on a power trip). She is stylish, she is a go-getter, genuine, passionate, charismatic; she’s the complete package!

Currently, she is working towards her B.A majoring in Integrated Strategic Communication with a minor in African American Studies.  During her time of study she has stayed heavily involved, strategically focusing on developing herself to become a publicists for professional athletes.

On top of going to classes, Kristen interns with UK athletics where she is responsible for publishing press releases and assisting with the development and execution of press conferences and game day activities. She is also the traditions chair for UK Student Activities Board as well as a PRSSA member. She works in the Journalism department as a student worker assisting with daily office activities. Lastly, She serves as the Event Coordinator for MANRRS (Minorities in Agriculture, Natural Resources and Related Sciences). And that’s not even all of it.

Her resume is jam packed with involvement of various sorts. Just this summer, she had the opportunity to study aboard in the Dominican Republic, observing the diverse relationship between Haitians and Dominicans.

I got the opportunity to ask Kristen how she stays so motivated; her response is that she continues to stay motivated by her mother, grandmother and Beyoncé. “They have all proven to me that it’s possible to be a business woman, wonderful mother and exceptional wife all at the same time. They have shown me that as a woman, it is possible to have it ALL”.

Because she’s so heavily involved and incredibly busy, I asked her what she likes to do in her spare time. She enjoys “working out, shopping, painting, and spending quality time with her 3 amazing best friends”.

Keep on rising to the top Kristen!!!

My name is Sydney E. Baker, but mostly people call me Slim. As a junior at the University of Kentucky, I am pursuing a B.A in Integrated Strategic Communication (a mouthful I know but I wouldn't have it any other way). During my studies, I am focused on building my professional self - which basically means staying so busy that I hardly get a wink of sleep. I previously served as the Campus Correspondent for the UK chapter of Her Campus and before that I was only a writer. To know more about me visit http://www.linkedin.com/in/sydneyebaker.