The Real Tailgating Experience

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

It is officially football time in the Bluegrass and with football comes the tailgates. A lot of you ladies and men know the struggle of finding the perfect outfit, drinks, food, etc. Many people, much like myself, have never been to the pregame activity so many college students and adults partake in. This weekend I got the inside scoop on what it is really like to tailgate.

• There are tailgates EVERYWHERE. Every nook and cranny across the Kroger Field parking lot, you will see a tent.
  • Corn. Hole. I have never seen so many boards in one place! Everyone is always playing around here and it is a great way for some fun entertainment before it is time to head inside.
  • I noticed that a lot of older folks, and some young, go all out and bring a television with all the hookups. They will set up the camp-out chairs and relax watching some other games going on across the country. (Never enough football, right?)
  • You get an inside look on anything and everything concerning the band. They are everywhere around the lots whether it be practicing, talking with fans, or even playing some pranks. We even saw them playing their instruments and cheering on people as they left the port-o-potty! It was definitely a sight.
  • Yes, tailgates do get a bad impression that there is nothing but alcohol. There really is not though! While I did see a fair share of Bud Lights’, I saw so many people repping sweet teas, ice waters, lemonade, and none other than Ale-8 One.

• Finally, while I did see many of friends and Greek life dancing and chatting, I saw more family than anything. It reminds me of what Kentucky is all about. We are a commonwealth of love and family. We are silly and a tad bit crazy, but that is what makes for the very best of times.

Photos by Madison Brooks

Taylon is a senior English student student at UK. She is both a Staff Writer and Social Media Director for Her Campus UK. She is involved in College Mentors for Kids as the Vice President of Fundraising, Sigma Tau Delta - English Honors Fraternity, and Robinson Scholars. Her go-to Starbucks drink is an iced cold brew with almond milk and two pumps of white chocolate mocha.