Product Review: Lush Yuge Hot Oil Hair Treatment

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

Recently I visited everyone’s favorite store – Lush. We all know how dedicated their employees are to helping their customers find the right products even if it means following us a little too much. However my trip this time proved pretty beneficial to my wild hair.

I have frizzy, curly hair that tends to have a life of its own. Whenever it does decide to be tame it tends to lose the majority of its volume and just lays flat. I have tried diffusing it and using a pick to help lift it up, but nothing has really given it that “oomph” that I would like it to have.

One of the employees there instantly provided me a product to help with that issue while also keeping my hair looking, and feeling, soft and healthy. I was given the hot oil treatment “Yuge” to try out.

I have tried many hot oil treatments and hair masks that you leave in for hours but none of them have left my hair feeling like this one.

I was worried that the “voluminous” effect would cause my hair to be more frizzy and “poofed” out rather than my roots not being flat against my head.

The actual product comes kind of like a lollipop. The wax is solidified on a popsicle stick and this particular one smells like a bag full of mints.

In order to make the hot oil treatment you are supposed to get almost boiling hot water and stir the wax block in it until it makes a somewhat thick liquid. Once you have done that you are good to go to apply it on your hair! I let mine cool for about two minutes so it did not actually burn me when applying it.

The product is supposed to be a one-time use; however my friend was able to get two uses out of hers and I have about 3-4 uses in mine since we have shorter hair.

The instructions ask you to leave the mask on for twenty minutes; I accidentally left mine on for thirty minutes watching Grey’s Anatomy and everything turned out fine!

The end result was basically what I was hoping for! My hair was not overly volumized but my roots were not lying flat against my head even drying naturally. My hair also smelled like mint afterwards so that was a major plus.

All-in-all I definitely recommend this product. The little wax pod is about ten dollars but can add up to multiple uses. It is also made up of all natural ingredients so you do not have to worry about it damaging your hair!

If you hate going to actual stores and dealing with people you can buy the product here.

Body photo from lush.com

Thumbnail by John-Mark Smith

My hair is usually frizzy and I’m usually craving coffee. I’m a senior at U.K. majoring in Secondary Education with a focus in Social Studies and minoring in Anthropology. I’m so happy to be writing for HerCampus, and so blessed to be on our executive board for my senior year!