[Podcast Review] How “Emergency Intercom” Became the Best Part of My Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

The transition to college was not an easy one for me. I went from knowing everyone to knowing no one, and this was a lonely feeling. Then on one August day, I decided to try a new podcast to make me laugh and cheer me up. 

Since then, “Emergency Intercom” has become the best part of my week. On this podcast, Phillips and Umanzor share stories, opinions and media every Friday. Whether their stories make you laugh or cry, Phillips and Umanzor tell the unfiltered truth about navigating young adulthood. They are relatable, genuine and unapologetic, which is so refreshing in an online environment that is increasingly more artificial. 

Phillips and Umanzor have discussed everything from their childhoods to wild nights out, to break-ins to death. Their insights helped me realize that this transition from being a kid to living on your own in the world is hard for everyone, and they’ve inspired me to try to make it fun and find humor in little things, even on the dark days. When you find something out there like “Emergency Intercom” that makes you feel less alone in this crazy world, you cling to it. 

I give “Emergency Intercom” 5 out of 5 stars. You can listen to it every Friday on Spotify, Apple Podcasts, YouTube, and more. You can turn it on in the background or sit down to watch the video version. If you like the podcast, you can also check out Drew Phillips and Enya Umanzor on YouTube.

Ava Dixon is a freshman accounting student at the University of Kentucky. She is 18 years old and from Hazard, Kentucky. In her free time she enjoys reading, writing, and listening to podcasts.