The Perfect Music For Your Study Sesh

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

Midterms are finally here, and UK’s student body is hunkering down at Willy T.

Music is a great way to #getthosegrades, but like everything else, there’s a science to what type of music helps you study. 

An Oldie but a Goodie
Start your long night with some of your old favorites. According to a Huffington Post article, listening to an old, familiar song helps to calm you down and get your focus on, all without being so mellow that you fall asleep. Also, make sure you pick a song with a good connotation; in other words, lots of warm fuzzies. It’ll brighten your mood and get you ready for your long night ahead. 

New Age Instrumental 
Lots of studies have said that classical music is the best to listen to while you study, but if you’re like me and classical music puts you to sleep, try new age instrumental. Think Yo-Yo Ma, Nick Farr or Phillip Weasley. The great thing about this genre is that it’s calm enough that you can still focus, but not so dull as to remind you how tired you really are. If that doesn’t work for you, Tchaikovsky is still scientists’ go-to for studying success. 

STUDY BREAK 
At this point, you’re starting to lose it. We get it. So, play your favorite song that’s on the radio these days and rock out. Stand up, dance around, and get the blood flowing to places other than your brain! It’s extremely important to take breaks when you study. Like letting your muscles rest during a workout, your brain needs a break to remember everything you’ve learned. 

Lights Out
You’ve said “good night” to Willy T, but it’s time to actually settle down for the night. Set your alarm, turn the lights off and listen to something that will keep all of that knowledge in your noggin. Make sure it’s relaxingm but not the same as what you’ve listened to all night; you don’t want to go crazy! The most important thing is to turn off the things that distract you, stop stressin, and know that you’ve done all you can. Now, get some sleep so your brain can remember everything!!

Do Your Thang
Ultimately though, who cares what science says? Do whatever works for you and listen to the tunes that will help you get those stellar grades. College is about figuring out what works best for you, so if that’s blaring Fetty Wop while reading your history notes, go for it. Know that there’s something different for everyone, so what works for your friend may not work for you.

So, pop in those headphones, fire up the Spotify, and get to studying.

Photo credits:

www.hercampus.com

i am a transfer student to UK, but I've grown up in Kentucky my whole life. I'm a History and Journalism major with a passion for writing, marketing, and communications.
"Sam I am," and I LOVE to read. Whether it's Jane Austen's "Pride and Prejudice" or The Mortal Instruments series, I'm always reading. And when I'm not reading, I'm writing; English papers, magazine editorials, you name it! Italian food is my favorite, shoe shopping is my addiction, and I hate cold weather. I'm also a proud member of Slytherin house (we're not all bad, I swear).