This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

Momma,

I want to start off with a very broad and general thank you.

Thank you for being there for me at all times. Thank you for being there for me when I have been the world’s biggest brat. Thank you for being there for me when you really needed someone to be there for you.

I know I have not been the easiest kid to raise. I have been your shadow for the past 23 years. I have thrown tantrums over the dumbest things and have had no issue making myself the center of attention. And yet, you always put up with me.

Thank you for being my biggest advocate. When I had given up on myself at 16, you just fought harder. You woke me up every day for a year with a “today will be good,” and you did your best to make sure that it was.

Thank you for answering the phone at 1 a.m. when I am sobbing on the other end. Thank you for making me do the toughest things I have ever done. Thank you for finding me new therapists, making the appointments and making me go through with it.

Thank you for teaching me how to be a good person. I know that even when I am having the worst day and I am face-to-face with the rudest person, being kind and calm is the best answer.

Thank you for teaching this impatient girl some patience. It does not always work, but I like to think it happens 85 percent of the time. Thank you for teaching me to not let my temper win – even when I desperately want it to win.

But, most of all, thank you for making me always feel loved. When I did not have an ounce of love for myself you were over pouring with it. Thank you for making me see my future. Thank you for showing me why I should live. Thank you for giving me this life. Thank you for never giving up on me.

Thank you and I love you oh so much.

My hair is usually frizzy and I’m usually craving coffee. I’m a senior at U.K. majoring in Secondary Education with a focus in Social Studies and minoring in Anthropology. I’m so happy to be writing for HerCampus, and so blessed to be on our executive board for my senior year!