An Open Letter to My Childhood Best Friend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

Dear childhood best friend,

Let me first start off by saying “thank you.”

When our paths first crossed in kindergarten I obviously did not know that you would become such a huge part of my life at such a young age, but thank goodness I found a friend in you.

From the day we met in kindergarten to the last day of fifth grade, we were inseparable. You were always my “bus buddy” on field trips, my “lunch buddy” when we were in the same homeroom class and we even shared the food that was packed in our lunch boxes together.

When you came over for a sleepover, we thought we were so cool because we stayed up well past midnight, laughing at the dumbest jokes.

As we moved on to middle school we were separated into different classes with very opposite schedules, but regardless we still made time to meet up with each other by the lockers in between classes.

We went through all of the awkward stages in life together. The pre-teen days, the high school days, as well as the moving away to college stage.

As we went our separate ways for our first year of college, we still managed to stay close. We spent virtually every weekend together when I returned back to our hometown, doing the same stupid things we have always done.

This is not to say we have not had our fair share of disagreements and arguments, as all best friends do, and for those bad moments I want to say I am sorry.

I am sorry I was not a good friend to you and I am sorry for the ridiculous things I said out of anger.

As we moved forward from those bad times, we both have grown as people.

We are both living the “adult lives” that we use to dream and talk about when we were kids, laying in the dark in my bedroom during our sleepovers.

We are both just a short time away from graduating college, to which the start of our dream careers will follow suit.

To my childhood best friend, you deserve nothing short of the entire world and all of the happiness that is within it. Just know that no matter where this crazy life of ours may take us, I will always be by your side and cheering you on.

Love,

Your childhood best friend

Her Campus UK chapter Campus Correspondent. Senior at the University of Kentucky, majoring in journalism and minoring in information studies. If you see me around campus I'm probably rocking a messy bun with a large coffee in my hand.