matteo catanese PI8Hk 3ZcCU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
matteo catanese PI8Hk 3ZcCU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Culture > News

An Open Letter to Brett Kavanaugh

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

I’ve sat and pondered this topic since the announcement of Brett Kavanaugh’s nomination to the U.S. Supreme Court. From the allegations of sexual assault of Christine Blasey Ford and others, to the news of his rowdy and drunk college behavior, it made me realize how important it was to speak my mind about not only the power men have in this country, but how powerless women are made to feel.

In mid-September, Ford came out publicly to speak on her high school sexual assault involving Kavanaugh. While wanting to stay anonymous, having to submit to a polygraph and provide evidence from the assault, she was found to be truthful of all accounts. On October 6, a vote was made and Brett Kavanaugh was sworn in as an associate justice of the Supreme Court, one of the highest judicial orders anyone can receive.

Whether I agree with his political views or not, over the past few years since the nomination of Donald Trump, we have seen an influx of wrongdoings not only to minorities, but to women specifically. More than ever, women are speaking out about their assaults and sexual misconducts through the “Me Too” Movement and other mediums. However, we’re seeing some of the most powerful men be told, “this is the scariest time for them,” a direct quote by our president. How is this the scariest time for men when we have men like Donald Trump, Brett Kavanaugh and Les Moonves holding top positions in business and politics deny allegations and continue to move up the corporate ladder or get sympathy?

While I could go on and on about why I hate the power struggle women have to go through to not only prove they are truthful, but work their way up, I’m directing my anger to Brett Kavanaugh. There’s not one point in this nomination that I felt Brett Kavanaugh was right for the job. I understood why he was chosen, his Republican stance on most issues, having good reputation of his efforts in law and having been a Yale graduate, he was what some may call the perfect candidate for the climate we’re currently in.

However, I will never understand how you can sit before a committee and the woman you allegedly sexually assaulted, under oath, see the pain in her eyes and continue to deny any wrongdoings from your past. Whether you want people to know what the truth is, you have the opportunity to hold one of the most powerful positions most could dream of and instead be truthful to a country you will be serving for life, you denied everything. And who knows, if he would’ve told the truth, would have they denied his nomination to the Supreme Court? I think you know my answer to that by now.

What it all comes down to is that women’s fears are being confirmed. Women have to be constantly on guard about what may happen to them at work, at school, home or any other place where someone can strip them of their right to say no.

They also have to fear the scrutiny that will follow them if they speak up? Will people believe me? Will my past be dragged and words be flipped? And the worst part is that the people women are supposed to trust to tell their misconducts too are usually men in power who may not even take the situation seriously.

While I don’t want my opinions to come off that all men in power are not believing women’s allegations, or that only men commit acts of sexual misconduct. However, in this case, we are seeing men in power throughout politics everyday be accused of sexual harassment.

More importantly, the men in power who are voting for women’s legislation like the Violence Against Women’s Act, which is up to expire by December 7, 2018, are gaining more and more of the reigns of the female voice to speak up.

While I don’t want to keep you here reading my thoughts, I just wanted to leave you with this. If you’re over the age of 18, GO VOTE.

My grandmother always reiterates to me how important my voice is now that my generation is getting older. Vote not just on the state, but local level. Be informed and vote people in who will protect your rights to have a voice.

Lastly, if you or anyone you know has experienced sexual assault or harassment, don’t feel you have to be a voice for the whole world. However, if you want to stand up and share your story, share your story with heart and don’t ever apologize for it.

Hey y'all! My name is Sydney Wade and I'm a sophomore from Nashville at the University of Kentucky! My major is Media Arts & Studies with a minor in Communication. I am a College of Communication & Information Ambassador, Chair Member on Student Activities Board, and now a writer for HerCampus! I love all things fashion and beauty and most importantly, self-care. I strive to always push confidence, positivity, and self-care in my writings and I'm excited to see what's in store for this year!