Old Friends Are Gold: How to Keep Your High School Friends When You Come to College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

“Old friends are gold! New friends are diamonds! If you get diamonds, don’t forget gold, because only gold can hold a diamond.”

This quote is especially true for people who head off to college and forget the old friends they left behind. After a while, it feels like those friendship didn’t even exist.

You start to ask yourself, “Should I reach out to them?” or “Do they still even want to be my friend?” These are just two of the questions that can make or break an old friendship.

So, why do we let ourselves forget the past friendships we worked so hard to make in high school?

Well, for starters, we are told right before we leave for school that “you will meet your true friends in college.” I won’t deny the truth behind this fact, but I did have great friends in high school, too, who would be there for me in a heartbeat.

Though you might be at a different school or in a different state doesn’t mean you have to end the friendship. So, here are some my helpful tips that I have used to maintain some of important friendships from high school.

1. Try to text them at least once a week or, better yet, Facetime them. You will enjoy the conversation so much better if you can actually see their face. Also, with Facetime, there are no awkward pauses because there is so much to talk about. Communication is key, so don’t be afraid to branch out. In the end, they will appreciate it.
  2. If both of you are home for the holidays or for a random weekend, try to hang out. You will pick up right where you left off and I promise it won’t be awkward at all.
  3. Try to introduce your new friends to your old ones. You choose your new friends for a reason. If it’s because they remind you of your old friends, they’ll most likely get along.
  4. Be open and honest with your old friend that you really want to try and make things work. You don’t want to be the only one working at the relationship. Both parties need to try to be the best friend they can be.

You hear everyday that friendships are important. Just think about this, though: your old friends know you better than your newer friends at the moment. It took them years to find out about your special quirks that make you you. They know what makes you tick, what makes you happy and what upsets you. They know every painful relationship you were in and maybe even some secrets that you couldn’t or wouldn’t tell anyone else.

“Old stories are like old friends. You have to visit them from time to time.”

Picture credits:

pinterest.com

"All you need is faith, trust, and pixie dust."
"Sam I am," and I LOVE to read. Whether it's Jane Austen's "Pride and Prejudice" or The Mortal Instruments series, I'm always reading. And when I'm not reading, I'm writing; English papers, magazine editorials, you name it! Italian food is my favorite, shoe shopping is my addiction, and I hate cold weather. I'm also a proud member of Slytherin house (we're not all bad, I swear).