Meet Madeline Rains, HC Belmont Campus Correspondent

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

Meet our Sister Chapter Campus Correspondents! Madeline Rains is a Campus Correspondent at HC Belmont alongside Sarah Self. Together, Sarah and Madeline are the force behind the HC Belmont chapter. To learn more about Madeline, continue reading! 

Name: Madeline Rains

Year: Junior

Major: Entertainment Industry Studies

Hometown: Cedar Hill, Tennessee

Have you ever been to Kentucky? If so, where did you go? Did you enjoy your experience?

I actually toured at UK when I was doing my college search junior/senior year of high school. Y’all have a great campus; it was just too big of a school for me.

Why did you choose Belmont?

I just liked the feel of Belmont when I toured, it’s on the smaller side and it’s also a beautiful campus. When I was looking around at colleges I decided that I didn’t want to go too far from home. I’m a Nashville native and all my family is semi-local so I wanted to stay close.

What is your most memorable college/Belmont experience?

This has nothing to do with Belmont specifically; I just think it’s a really funny story.

Last year one of my roommates had a birthday coming up so my other roommate decided to go get her a gift but we had no idea what to actually get her. We walked around the mall for an hour and we couldn’t find a single thing until I saw a store that was going out of business. They had a lot of cool stuff on clearance but I decided we had to get our roommate one of the mannequins that they were selling. So we carry this 6-foot tall, white, naked mannequin to the register and buy it for around $60. We somehow get it in the car and decide to cover her with a blanket (to protect it’s modesty and it was kind of creepy). On the way back to the apartment, literally turning into campus a cop pulls me over for one of my lights not being on. So now on top of buying this mannequin, I’m in the car getting a warning from a cop while I have what looks like a body sprawled across my car. Luckily he somehow didn’t notice the 6-foot tall mannequin in my car. I’m not sure how thrilled my roommate was with her gift though.

How did you get involved with HC Belmont?

My friend Kaylinn Baker is also a writer with HC Belmont, she told me about an open senior editor position two years ago, I applied and the rest is history.

What has been your favorite HC experience?

My favorite part of Her Campus is the sense of community with it. Of course having the internal community of our HC chapter is awesome, but also knowing that we are impacting and connecting with the women on this campus through our stories. So it’s really the little experiences that I like best, I love walking by people in the halls and seeing them looking at our Instagram or reading one of our stories. I just think that’s so cool.

Are you involved in anything outside of HC (work, other orgs, intern, etc.)?

Right now I’m interning at the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum with the marketing department.

What are your interests or hobbies?

Freshmen year I was really into making dream catchers and selling them on Etsy. Now though I spend most of my free time working out and watching “The Office” for the fourth time through.

What is your dream job?

I would love to work in some aspect of the television industry. I think my dream job would be to work in the TV industry in some capacity, whether that is working on the creative side of things or in some sort of marketing aspect.

Who is your celebrity crush?

Jared Padalecki

Do you have anything you want to mention about Belmont that UK students would not know?

It’s not all flannel, hipsters and music business. A lot of it is, but Belmont also has so much else to offer.

I may never win a Pulitzer, but I will be doing something that makes me happy and I would not change that.