Marrying Too Young

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

Teenage marriage is a problem facing a lot of the nation and it is hard to see why that is so bad.

Centuries ago marrying young was the normal thing to do, so why is it so bad now?

There are so many things out there that one has yet to experience and by marrying young one not only taking those experiences away from themselves, but also from their partner.

Of course, we cannot really determine all of the reasons that many people decided to get married right out of high school or in high school, but some reasons for marrying young are:

-Pregnancy

With shows like Teen Mom, pregnancy is not only perceived in a bad way, but it is also encouraged. 

Bad home life/ emancipation

Many young people choose to marry to emancipate themselves from their parents for many different reasons. 

No ambition (want spouse to support them)

Many young people choose to get married out of high school because of their particular views of how they want to live their life. Young women often choose to marry young so that they can be supported and stay home to raise children and do housework. 

Think they are in love

Young people are often looked down upon when they claim to be in love. Older people perceive young people as being too young to know what love is and, most often, they are correct.

Sex

One last reason why people chose to marrying young is because of sex. This is crazy to think, but many people want to go ahead and have sex, but their religious or preferential views are against sex before marriage. This is definitely not a good reason to marry young. 

Now that we know some reasons why people choose to marry young, here are some reasons why one should wait:

-Financial stability

Young people often find that having to support one another and pay bills leads to unhappiness with their relationship and it may result in resentment. People reflect on the life they could’ve had compared to the one that they are living now.

-Increased divorce rate

It is a known fact that most often people who marry too young are more likely to get a divorce. According to an article published last year, the divorce rate among young people is higher than that of any other ages. (Marrying in your late 20s and early 30s has the highest success rate).

-Life Experiences

If anything one should choose to wait to marry, because they have yet to experience many things in life. When you are married a lot of things hold you back from pursuing your dreams or doing everything that you want to do.

-Choose youth

One should choose to keep their youth. This does not mean that you need to break up with your current boy/girlfriend, but you don’t need to rush things. Another reason why a lot of people decide to marry young is because they want to start their life early, because if you are in love with someone why not go ahead and marry them? For me, their reasoning is flawed. You do not have to be married to be in a committed relationship. Marriage is just like dating except with you have papers.

Photo Credit:

I may never win a Pulitzer, but I will be doing something that makes me happy and I would not change that.
"All you need is faith, trust, and pixie dust."