A Letter to My Freshman Self

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

I know you are feeling a lot of emotions right now, trust me, I remember. But college is super fun! You are going to meet some great friends your first week; friends who will last a long time. Go to the “stupid and silly” events —  that is how you meet people. Those events, like glowstick bingo or speed-friending, are actually really fun. Get out of your bubble and meet people.

GO TO YOUR MORNING CLASSES. Or do not take any. Chemistry first thing in the morning is NOT fun, but the academic part of college is not designed for fun, it is designed to help you get your degree. Pay attention in class and get off your phone. If you do not, you are totally going to regret it during finals week (which you will).

You do not have to party or drink to have fun. While college is a learning experience, do not make any decisions you will immediately regret. Be safe and be responsible. Go out and have fun every once in a while to get your mind off things, but you do not have to go every weekend like they do in the movies.

Do not try to study in your room. You will get nothing done. Go to the library, Starbucks, or even the kitchen, but you are going to waste a lot of time studying in your room, trust me. Cleaning ALWAYS sounds like a good idea when you have got a math test to study for.

Actually go to some of the club meetings you signed up for in orientation. You are going to sign up for probably 20, but pick one or two you are actually interested in and check it out. That is how you meet people, and it is always good on your resume. Find your niche and be glad when you do.

You are going to have rough patches. It is inevitable. You are going to get stressed out. You are going to cry sometimes. But that is completely okay, because you are going to have a great support network to lift you up and care for you when you are feeling down. These are the people you want to keep around.

College is exciting. It is okay to be scared, but you are in for the time of your life. Freshman year is awesome. Make friends, study hard and remember to relax every now and then. But most importantly, enjoy it while it lasts, because you are going to miss it more than you know when it is over. You are not going to get this time back, so make something out of every moment.

From,

Your future self

I am a first year student at the University of Kentucky majoring in Psychology and Writing, Rhetoric & Digital Studies. My favorite things to do are write and travel, and my dream job would be a travel writer because it combines both of my passions!