Julia’s Kitchen: Tomato Artichoke Soup

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

I grew up with a mother who cooked for a big family – six in all. So, when I came to school, I only knew how to cook for six people, which becomes an issue when you are only cooking for and feeding one.

Granted, leftovers are great, but you can only eat the same thing for so long.

I recently made my mother’s tomato artichoke soup. The whole damn recipe.

I now have 10 servings of soup spread across three Tupperware containers; one in the fridge and two in the freezer. If I invite you over to my apartment, I will force feed you soup. Because I have so much of it. So much.

Here’s the thing: I don’t want to miss out on all of my mom’s great recipes just because I don’t understand serving sizes. So, I’ve decided to modify them for the college kitchen and share them with you!

I will share a new recipe each month.

The first one? You got it: tomato artichoke soup.

But don’t worry, you won’t end up with way to much soup to handle. I’ve got you covered.

Ingredients:

-Teaspoon of butter

-½ teaspoon olive oil

-½ cup of minced celery

-½ red onion, minced

-1 carrot or 4 to 5 baby carrots, minced

-1½  quarts of low sodium veggie broth

-1 15-ounce can of diced tomatoes

-1 15-ounce can of artichoke hearts, minced

-½ teaspoon of salt, ½ teaspoon of pepper

-2 teaspoons of fresh or dried basil

-1 teaspoon of oregano

-1/8 teaspoon of cayenne

-¾ cup of heavy cream

-¼ cup of sour cream

Directions:

1. In a large pot, melt butter and oil over medium heat.
  2. Add the minced veggies until soft (usually about 5-8 minutes).
  3. Add the veggie broth and bring to a simmer.
  4. Add tomatoes and minced artichokes.
  5. Add salt, pepper, basil, oregano and cayenne.
  6. Return mix to a simmer, and whisk in heavy cream and sour cream.
  7. Heat through, taste and adjust seasonings.
  8. Enjoy!

P.S. Leftovers can be refrigerated for one week or frozen for two to three weeks.

Photo credits:

audioboom.com

Julia is an English and Journalism Major at the University of Kentucky. Her ideal brunch bunch would include (but is not limited to) Lena Dunham, Amy Poehler, and Barbara Kingsolver, and she one day hopes to do something that will land her an interview with Terry Gross on NPR's Fresh Air.
"Sam I am," and I LOVE to read. Whether it's Jane Austen's "Pride and Prejudice" or The Mortal Instruments series, I'm always reading. And when I'm not reading, I'm writing; English papers, magazine editorials, you name it! Italian food is my favorite, shoe shopping is my addiction, and I hate cold weather. I'm also a proud member of Slytherin house (we're not all bad, I swear).