Julia’s Kitchen: Homemade Clif Bars

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

If you’re like me, you enjoy a good quality protein bar.

They’re a great on-the-go snack, yet they tend to be a bit expensive, especially Clif, Lara and Luna Bars.

Thankfully, homemade protein bars are relatively inexpensive, when compared to buying them at grocery stores, and you can customize them.

With finals approaching, why not take a quick 30 minutes to bake a batch of your own protein bars to take with you to the library?

***Note: this recipe requires a food processor***

Ingredients:

1 cup of old fashioned oats

3 large biscuit-style shredded wheat

1 cup of raisins

½ teaspoon of cinnamon

½ teaspoon of salt

2 eggs

¼ cup of honey

1 teaspoon of vanilla

¼ cup of peanut butter

½ cup of chocolate chips

Directions:

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

2. Spray an 8 x 8 pan with oil.

3. Place the raisins in a food processor and pulse until lightly chopped (note: it will be sticky).

4. Add the shredded wheat, oats, cinnamon and salt to mixture. Pulse again until it’s finely chopped.

5. In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, honey, vanilla and peanut butter.

6. Add the oat mixture and chocolate chips, and stir until well-blended.

7. Bake for about 15 to 18 minutes until the edges are lightly golden. Let cool completely before cutting into bars. 

Enjoy, collegiettes, and good luck on finals!

Picture credits:

Julia is an English and Journalism Major at the University of Kentucky. Her ideal brunch bunch would include (but is not limited to) Lena Dunham, Amy Poehler, and Barbara Kingsolver, and she one day hopes to do something that will land her an interview with Terry Gross on NPR's Fresh Air.
"Sam I am," and I LOVE to read. Whether it's Jane Austen's "Pride and Prejudice" or The Mortal Instruments series, I'm always reading. And when I'm not reading, I'm writing; English papers, magazine editorials, you name it! Italian food is my favorite, shoe shopping is my addiction, and I hate cold weather. I'm also a proud member of Slytherin house (we're not all bad, I swear).