It’s Time to Be Aware of the Way These Two Important Things Interact In Our Climate — Politics and Friends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

Our political climate is much like our current physical climate.

Blazing hot one day, snowing the next – hurricanes everywhere.

Since the election of President Trump in 2016, discussing politics can get very heated to say the least. This presidency has created a major divide in our country.

It’s as if political affiliation is a make or break characteristic for many people. Regardless of what side you’re on, you may feel irritated with the fact that you have to argue about such issues.

Many people avoid this completely by surrounding themselves with like-minded individuals.

I have friends who are hardcore liberal. These friends believe it’s impossible, even downright wrong, to be friends with someone who’s as committed to their beliefs on the opposing side. People on both sides hold this belief, too, and also believe it’s simply absurd to be friends with another person who holds fundamentally different views.

Now, there is a difference between being friendly and being friends.

No one I have discussed this issue with has a problem being friendly with a conservative, liberal or independent. But it’s their belief that one cannot be close friends — that is have a strong personal connection and the ability to talk about many things — with someone from the opposite political party.

It’s completely plausible that someone could be friends with a person who identifies with the opposite political party. However, I believe it’s likely to be a stronger friendship if the two individuals hold similar beliefs.

Political parties are defined by political belief systems, yes, but the individuals in these groups also have distinct similar interests. In general, I believe people tend to gravitate to others who are similar to them.

For the majority of people, interests and hobbies are defining characteristics. These characteristics are things they spend lots of time taking part in. This leads to clusters of people with common interests to group together. The same goes with politics.

I find that I personally get along better with individuals who agree with my political values, not solely because of politics, but because they happen to share more of my interests, hobbies and even humor.

It’s completely possible to be friends with those who are members of the opposing political party; however, I believe it’s more possible to become friends with those who are members of the same party simply because, usually, they are more like you.

This does nothing to overcome the division we are currently facing in America. The separation into opposing groups is only getting worse; however, being aware of this can aid us in mending our broken society.

An introvert who expresses better in writing. Freshman at the University of Kentucky. Avid lover of TV shows, fictional characters, dance, thrift stores, and adventures.