The Importance of Study Breaks and What To Do During Them

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

Photo by Nicole Harrington

One word that comes to mind when thinking of college? Studying. Every college and every professor have different recommendations for how many hours per week, per class should be spent hunched over textbooks and seemingly endless notes, but one key element of advice that seems to be left out? How long each study session should last.

According to Julie Bradley, assistant director of academic coaching at the University of Kentucky, students should spend 30 to 50 minutes per study session, followed by a break.

I am a senior in college, and I never heard this advice until this year. This advice is essential for college students everywhere because I know plenty of students, including me, who study for two to three hours, or more, at a time. After 50 minutes of studying, your brain is overwhelmed and will not remember material as well, according to Bradley.

After studying for 30 to 50 minutes, your brain needs a break. Here is a short list of ways to pass the time during study breaks:

• Grab a bite to eat
  • Paint your nails
  • Watch an episode of a TV show
  • Listen to your favorite genre of music
  • Hangout with your friends
  • Take a nap
  • Go for a walk outside
  • Meditate
  • Draw, paint, doodle
  • Check your social media
  • Call your parents
  • Read a chapter of a book
  • Take a bath
  • Clean and organize your room
  • Start a puzzle

The most important part of a study break, though, is doing something you enjoy. This will make coming back to your next short study session bearable.

Hannah Woosley is a senior at the University of Kentucky majoring in print journalism and minoring in history. She is a staff writer and co-editor for Her Campus UK. She is also a columnist and assistant opinions editor for UK’s student-run school newspaper, The Kentucky Kernel. In her free time, she enjoys being outdoors hiking, swimming and practicing yoga. She adores animals and has two, six-year-old cats. You can catch Hannah writing an article, watching her favorite shows on Netflix, drinking an iced coffee or enjoying some time outdoors.