ICYMI: The Hunger Games Recap

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

Mockingjay, Part 1 will be here before we know it (less than a week left!) and there isn’t much time to catch up on The Hunger Games series before November 21. It’s assumed that most of us have read, or at least have seen, The Hunger Games and Catching Fire, but I’m here to cover the basics in preparation for Mockingjay, Part 1.  

The Hunger Games:

Iconic Quote: “There’s 24 of us, Gale, only one comes out.”

The Hunger Games series is set in Panem, a country including the Capitol and its 12 outlying districts. However, here are suspicions of a 13th district, lying in ruins after revolting against the Capitol. We learn pretty quickly that the Capitol sucks, so it’s no wonder why.

Each year following District 13’s rebellion, the Capitol has hosted the Hunger Games, during which one boy and girl from each district are selected to participate. The games are a battle to the death; the last standing tribute is declared victor.

The film begins in District 12. Our heroine, Katniss Everdeen, volunteers as tribute to replace her sister, Prim, in the games. Katniss is joined by the hunky Peeta Mellark, also from District 12, and the two are trained to battle the other tributes in the Hunger Games.

During their training, Katniss and Peeta meet their opponents and the ruthless President Snow (he’s the worst). Katniss and Peeta quickly realize they’re in way over their heads.

The games begin, and Katniss and Peeta face savages from District 3, “tracker jackers,” fires, wolves and every threat the Gamemaker (a member chose by the Capitol to run the games each year) can invent. Time continues and Katniss and Peeta struggle to survive, although they do benefit from sponsors and fans. The dynamic duo eventually outlives thier fellow tributes. At the end of the movie, the two threaten to commit suicide because they “cannot live without one another.” Outrage sparks all over Panem (including the Capitol) and the Gamemaker allows both Katniss and Peeta to survive and live happily ever after (or so thye think…). 

President Snow is outraged and begins plotting his revenge.

Catching Fire:

Iconic Quote: “Remember who the real enemy is.”

WARNING: Do not hold three fingers in the air and whistle four notes unless you’re looking for trouble.

Although Katniss and Peeta were victors of the 74th annual Hunger Games, things aren’t looking too great in District 12. We learn that Katniss Everdeen is now the symbol of hope for all of the districts in Panem. President Snow doesn’t trust Katniss as far as he could throw her, and works to ensure Katniss is behaving, rather than concocting a rebellion against the Capitol.

The second move marks the year of the 75th Hunger Games, also know as the Quarter Quell. Not so conveniently, this year’s reaping selects the participants from the pool of past victors. It’s pretty much the equivalent of America’s Next Top Model – All Star Season. Surprise, surprise: Katniss and Peeta are thrown back into the games.

Things get interesting once Katniss and Peeta begin picking their allies for this year’s Hunger Games. The rebel alliance forms, and Katniss and Peeta team up with Finnick, Mags, Johanna Wiress and Beetee. From the brains to the braun, it’s an unusual crowd to say the least.

The team bans together, overcoming poisonous fog, savage baboons, copious amounts of blood, nightmare-inducing birds and a whirlwind clock. In an effort to escape, Beetee uses his knowledge of technology to destroy the games’ force field, causing massive explosions within the arena.

Katniss wakes up in a state of confusion on an aircraft heading for District 13. She learns that a rebellion against the Capitol has begun, and most of the Quarter Quell tributes were part of an elaborate plan to rescue Katniss and the others.

At the end of the film, loose strings seem to be tied and hope alive, until Katniss realizes the Capitol has captured Peeta. Maybe things are not as great as we had hoped.

I hope this leaves you caught up on The Hunger Games series and ready to check out Mockingjay, Part 1 next weekend. Here’s to bringing Peeta back to District 13!

Ellen is a senior at the University of Kentucky, where she studies Integrated Strategic Communication with a Public Relations emphasis. She enjoys Netflix binging, online shoppping and is an avid One Direction fan!
"Sam I am," and I LOVE to read. Whether it's Jane Austen's "Pride and Prejudice" or The Mortal Instruments series, I'm always reading. And when I'm not reading, I'm writing; English papers, magazine editorials, you name it! Italian food is my favorite, shoe shopping is my addiction, and I hate cold weather. I'm also a proud member of Slytherin house (we're not all bad, I swear).