I Broke Down Ariana’s New Song About Her Exes And Now I Admire Her More Than Ever

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

Hello, yes, this is not a drill.

Ariana Grande released a song on Saturday night and it’s more than what we could have imagined.

Grande spoke about her exes, name dropping and all, on her latest song, “thank you, next.” 2018 has been her year as far as success, especially with her Sweetener album reaching No. 1 on the Billboard chart multiple times.

Nonetheless, she has also gone through so much this past year from the Manchester bombing after her concert, her getting engagement to Pete Davidson, her ex Mac Miller’s death, media blaming her for his death and finally her split with Davidson. This entire year had to be an overwhelming roller coaster ride for Grande, and she shut everyone up with their questions and comments with this one song release.

You would think it would be a song about roasting all of her exes, but no. Let’s break down the lyrics:

Thought I’d end up with Sean

But he wasn’t a match

Wrote some songs about Ricky

Now I listen and laugh

Even almost got married

And for Pete, I’m so thankful

Wish I could say, “Thank you” to Malcolm

‘Cause he was an angel

Sean, as in Big Sean, making their public debut in 2015, and reportedly broke up due to conflicting tour schedules. They dated for a solid eight months, but did not end up working out.

Ricky, as in Ricky Alvarez who was also one of her back-up dancers. They were dating in 2015 and broke up in 2016. You probably know Alvarez from the video of Grande’s donut shop incident. He’s the guy she kisses in the video. No one really remembers him. The songs she is referring to are, “True Love,” and “Moonlight.”

Pete, of course, as in Pete Davidson. The couple was all over media, with people criticizing them for moving too fast in their relationship. From getting engaged to buying a pet piglet, to talking about moving in together. Unfortunately things came to an end this year, Grande needed a break after Mac Miller’s death and all the stress that came from that. Can you blame her? But they ended as friends, and no negativity from both ends.

Ya’ll, this line got me in TEARS when I heard her say this about Mac Miller. Grande and Miller dated from 2016 to 2018. They had many collabs together, and Miller was inspired by the women in his life, emphasis on Grande, to write his album The Divine Feminine. Ariana split with Miller in early 2018, claiming she did not want to be with someone who cannot handle themselves, referring to Miller’s struggle with sobriety.

Days after the announcement, however, Miller totaled his car while drunk driving. In September, he passed away due to an accidental drug overdose, which led to fans blaming Grande for his death due to heartbreak. Ugh.

One taught me love

One taught me patience

And one taught me pain

Now, I’m so amazing

I’ve loved and I’ve lost

But that’s not what I see

So, look what I got

Look what you taught me

And for that, I say

Thank you, next (Next)

Thank you, next (Next)

Thank you, next

I’m so f*ckin’ grateful for my ex

Thank you, next (Next)

Thank you, next (Next)

Thank you, next (Next)

I’m so f*ckin’ —

The one who taught her love, I assume, was Alvarez, because of the songs she had written about him. Patience would be in reference to Davidson, because they would often talk about how different they were from each other. And then finally, pain would be in reference to Miller, and the emotional and physical pain he dealt throughout his journey of trying to be sober, and her having to witness that. She is saying how although she is no longer with these people, they have simply strengthened her in all of those characteristics.

She thanks them for making her experience all that she went through while being with her exes instead of hating them for it like some artists. She’s telling her fans she can move on, and that I think is something we all need to think about. If Grande can move on with everything going on in her life, I best believe I can too.

Spend more time with my friends

I ain’t worried ’bout nothin’

Plus, I met someone else

We havin’ better discussions

I know they say I move on too fast

But this one gon’ last

‘Cause her name is Ari

And I’m so good with that (So good with that)

She taught me love (Love)

She taught me patience (Patience)

How she handles pain (Pain)

That sh*t’s amazing (Yeah, she’s amazing)

I’ve loved and I’ve lost (Yeah, yeah)

But that’s not what I see (Yeah, yeah)

‘Cause look what I’ve found (Yeah, yeah)

Ain’t no need for searching, and for that, I say

These lines are what make this song iconic. Grande is out here taking a time-out with being in a relationship with guys, but instead, to better her relationship with herself. She’s taking a break which she hasn’t in a while, from dating, in order to fully love herself.

She is fully aware that she is known for moving too fast, and she’s not doing what she’s doing just to disprove that; She’s doing it for her own well-being and this is what she needs.

She doesn’t need a man to depend on, when she has herself — P-R-E-A-C-H.

Grande handled this whole year’s worth of backlash from media so well, especially with her whole personal life being out in the open, constantly being watched by us. How empowering? She came out with this song to tell us what she’s made of, and I am truly inspired.

Aside from the meaning of the song, it’s a whole BOP. I literally was listening to it for six hours on repeat. Go listen to it if you haven’t, and learn to love yourself before you love someone else.

Hey guys! I'm Neha, a broadcast journalism major here at the University of Kentucky! I come from two immigrant parents and want girls like me to know they aren't alone! My dream job is to work in entertainment and I have a passion to inform others. I love video and make-up and meeting new people!