Anna Schultz-Girl With Books And Backpack
Anna Schultz / Her Campus
Wellness > Mental Health

How to Stay Motivated with Online School

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

Obviously, this school year looks a lot different for many of us. Most colleges are moving to a complete online format, meaning that we are no longer meeting in person for class. Although this is a necessary precaution for COVID-19, it will definitely not be an easy transition.

The idea of online school may sound appealing; you can stay in bed to do class, less social interaction, no long walks to class. But the reality may not be as glamorous as it seems. After a while, not having to leave your room for class may make it difficult to stay motivated. For me personally, going into class and seeing people in person made me feel like I needed to be more prepared and more ready for class that day. But with online classes, it is much easier to zone out and take your classes less seriously. 

I also think that online classes will make it difficult to stay organized. Keeping all my classes straight in my head is a lot harder when I’m not physically going into classrooms and seeing people in person. I think the best way to solve this issue is just by staying organized. This could be as simple as getting a planner and writing down your class schedule and each assignment that is due. Color coding your classes will make it easy to keep track of. I make sure to sit down each Sunday night and write down my schedule for the week, as long as any assignments that I need to complete. 

Another tip is to find a specific place to do your classes. It is easy to just sit in bed and log onto your classes, but physically getting up and having a designated area for classes is really beneficial. For me, I use my desk as this area. My bed is for sleeping and relaxing, and my desk is for doing things that are productive. This makes it easier to separate my class time from my leisure time. 

My last tip is to get ready for your day. It is really easy to just stay in your pajamas all day because you have nowhere to go. But I encourage you to get dressed, fix your hair, put on makeup if you want to, and just get ready like you would if you were physically going to class. I think this makes you feel better about yourself and will make you feel more prepared to do your classes. It will also probably boost your confidence, which is always a good thing! 

So although this semester is going to be a transition for everyone, it is totally possible and doable if you follow these simple tips!

Hi everyone! I am a senior here at UK and am originally from Northern Kentucky. I am majoring in Political Science and Journalism and am the President of Feminist Alliance at UK. I am very passionate about politics and current events, and I hope to bring a non-partisan view to all the articles I write!