This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

It is a brand-new school year and I am sure we are all starting to realize that it is time to become the adult your parents always told you about. It is officially time to go for a job or an internship. Whether you are getting it to pay off some bills, class credit or for a resume booster, this guide will lead you in the right direction to landing that job or internship.

Like everyone else, we all have to start somewhere. You may think you have no experience and you are not qualified, but so many more people have been in this exact same position. The trick is to go in with confidence. Do not be cocky or too proud, but hold yourself up and let them be able to recognize that are you ready and more than prepared for this job.

The next step is very important: dressing for success. You do not have to wear a full suit or dress, but make sure your shirt is tucked in, tie is tied right, clothes ironed, and shoes laces tied. Your appearance is the first thing they see, and they always want someone in their company that customers will want to see too.

Lastly, make sure that you are prepared and know all the information you need. Study up on their policies, the dress code, the hygiene standard, code of conduct, etc. It is so important to recognize their mission statement. Have that puppy memorized!

There is a lot of steps to insuring the job, but I believe with these tips you will get a good shot at landing it. Remember that everyone starts somewhere, and this is just the beginning.

Taylon is a senior English student student at UK. She is both a Staff Writer and Social Media Director for Her Campus UK. She is involved in College Mentors for Kids as the Vice President of Fundraising, Sigma Tau Delta - English Honors Fraternity, and Robinson Scholars. Her go-to Starbucks drink is an iced cold brew with almond milk and two pumps of white chocolate mocha.