How to Give Yourself an at Home Facial on a College Gal Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

If your budget has been stopping you from pampering yourself in the past, continue reading to learn how to give yourself a facial! You don’t even need to brace the cold weather, because you can do it all in the comfort of your own home. Before you start the pampering, change into comfortable clothes. Be sure that your neck is exposed so you can apply the facial to your neck as well. The most important thing to remember during this process is not to pick at your face. I know it can be tempting to try and extract pesky red spots, but that is what the facial is for! It is also very important that you start off with clean skin. Remove any excess makeup from that day or even the day before. 

The first step of the facial is to exfoliate the skin. In my opinion, this is the most important step. Currently there are thousands of dead skin cells that are making it easier to clog your pores. Spending a good amount of time exfoliating your skin will give you the best end result. You should use about a quarter size amount of product and massage it into your skin. My favorite exfoliating product it, Garnier Clean + Blackhead Eliminating Scrub. You do not need to apply any water to your face until it is time to take the exfoliating product off. To remove the product, take a clean wash cloth and hold it under steaming hot water. Ring out the cloth, then hold the towel onto your face. Keep the towel on your face until it is no longer warm, then wipe off any excess product. Once your face air dries, apply a facial mud mask. The reason for applying a mud mask is to unclog all the pores on your face! Any mud base facial clarifying mask will work, a good mask I found is Aztec Secret Indian Healing Clay Deep Pore Cleansing. Let the mask dry for about 10 to 15 minutes, do not let it get so dry that it cracks! To remove the clay mask, warm up the same wash cloth and apply it to your face the same way as before. If you need to remove any excess mask rinse it off with warm water. Once your face is completely dry again it is time to apply a second face mask. The second mask is to replenish your skin and to add some moisture to your skin. Any hydrating mask will work however, I like Elizabeth Arden’s Hydrating Mask. Again leave this mask on for 10 to 15 minutes, except this time rinse off with cool water. It is important to use cool water because it will close your pores and fight against the pores clogging. Finally, it is time to moisturize your face. Use your normal face lotion, preferably an oil free moisturizer, and apply with upward strokes.

Enjoy your fresh and fierce skin ladies!

xx, Jackie

Photo Credit:

thegloss.com

Jackie Mangin is a freshman at the University of Kentucky, majoring in Integrated Strategic Communications. 
"All you need is faith, trust, and pixie dust."