How to Fill Out a Bracket If You Do Not Watch Basketball

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

Photo by Isaiah Rustad

March Madness is about to commence, and it is officially time for you to learn how to fill out a bracket that is a shoe-in to amaze all your friends. This is for all of you people like me who struggle to watch the sport of basketball but manage to fill out a bracket anyway. Here are some helpful tips on how to fill out the perfect bracket.

Do Not Always Pick the Highest Seed

The number beside each team’s name correlates to the “seed” each team is ranked in the tournament. The closer the number is to one usually means that that team is a favorite to win the championship. Every year, the bracket has “Cinderella” teams that make miraculous runs through the tournament, so be cautious on selecting teams showcasing a higher seed.

The Blue Blood

Kentucky, Kansas, Duke and North Carolina are all pretty reliable bets on winning a couple of games each tournament. With that being said, do not make these teams your Final Four teams. Remember how I said something about Cinderella teams? Just a few years ago Duke was upset in the first round by Lehigh. Your guess to where Lehigh is would be as good as mine.

Look Up the School Mascots and Base Your Pick Off of That

I love picking schools based on their mascots or even their colors. Never pick a school with a generic mascot. Tigers, Bulldogs, and Aggies are so overdone. My personal favorite mascots include Racers, Anteaters, and of course Wildcats.

Kentucky ‘Til the End

Come on guys, if you do not pick Kentucky to win it all, you should not pay tuition here. All true Wildcats will bleed blue all the way into their brackets. Show your school pride by picking Kentucky to win it all and bring home yet another National Championship banner.

Taylon is a senior English student student at UK. She is both a Staff Writer and Social Media Director for Her Campus UK. She is involved in College Mentors for Kids as the Vice President of Fundraising, Sigma Tau Delta - English Honors Fraternity, and Robinson Scholars. Her go-to Starbucks drink is an iced cold brew with almond milk and two pumps of white chocolate mocha.