Style > Beauty

How To Feel Comfortable in Your Skin During Spring Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

It’s March 1st. Spring break is in a couple weeks and you find yourself standing on your scale not too happy with the number on it. Grabbing any loose skin you have on your body, you pick up your phone and start researching “how to lose weight fast.” I think we can all visualize this very moment at least once in our life. Even though we are talking about pressures of having the perfect beach body for spring break, any of the advice that speaks to you in this article can and should apply for any time you find yourself feeling pressured to have the “perfect” body.

First things first, you should never feel pressure to have a certain body to enjoy a vacation.

While we do live in a digital age where everything is determined by good angles, perfect lighting, the right outfit, and even more nerve-wracking, the best Instagram picture, none of those things mean you had less of a great time than your fellow spring breakers. Take a step back and enjoy your vacation. Document your experiences of your vacation, take pictures of your food, other friends, and don’t let your outer appearance stop you from getting pictures of yourself! If the pressure of getting the perfect picture ruins your time, encourage your friends to get off-guard pics of you having a great time. This takes pressure off of you to hit the perfect pose, takes even more pressure off of your bestie to get the perfect pic (we all know about that feeling) and lets you see yourself completely immersed in your environment, naturally smiling, enjoying the weather and scenery around you. I sometimes like to think these types of pictures are some of the best and most real versions of me.

Wear what you’re comfortable in!

On vacation during spring break, you should feel your absolute best! When choosing what to pack, make sure you wear your favorite color, shirt or even buy something new you love. Also, trying on anything you’ll wear for vacation is essential to preparing and making sure you’re comfortable in your skin even more. Don’t try to force yourself to wear something you’re not comfortable with because you want to fit into a certain size or because you feel pressure to follow a trend. If you do want to step out of your comfort zone and feel good in it, wear it! Don’t make your vacation a disaster because you wore something to fit in or try to be someone else. Be you and the rest falls into place.

Most importantly, remember you were put on this Earth to be you and only you.

And NO ONE can be a better you than YOU. We all struggle to be comfortable in our skin, but we have to realize we can’t waste our time staring in the mirror about imperfections that won’t change in 30 seconds, we have to live in the moment. Love the body you’re in for your spring break and after it as well. Enjoy the sun, run through sand, swim with you friends, and take in your blessings. However, when you return from your beautiful vacation, if there are some healthy and realistic changes you want to make with your body for summer vacation or just because you want to make a change, that’s great. Research, try to eat healthier or even try incorporating some at-home workouts in your daily routine. Give yourself realistic goals and take your time.

Love yourself and speak positive thoughts over your life and don’t fake it till you make it, fake it till you BECOME it.

Hey y'all! My name is Sydney Wade and I'm a sophomore from Nashville at the University of Kentucky! My major is Media Arts & Studies with a minor in Communication. I am a College of Communication & Information Ambassador, Chair Member on Student Activities Board, and now a writer for HerCampus! I love all things fashion and beauty and most importantly, self-care. I strive to always push confidence, positivity, and self-care in my writings and I'm excited to see what's in store for this year!